New 17"

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by madamimadam, Mar 17, 2002.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Did anyone else take a look at the monitor rumour on MacOS Rumors? They are suggesting a 17" widescreen which sounds pretty cool but then they go on to say that it's resolution would be 1152x768. Why would Apple make a bigger monitor with a lower resolution? I really do wish I could trust that rumour but....

2. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

good point, that caught my eye too. doesnt seem to make much sense and it calls the rest of that rumors into question as well.

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

It wouldnt make sense to put out another 17" monitor. If they release another monitor with the widescreen ratio it'll rolly be a 19 incher. Also, They won't make the resolution lower because the people that would buy this monitor wont buy it if the resolution is worse.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, I'm betting on a 19". It's been the gap for too long...

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Apple has two choices with their monitors:
    (1) Keep the current models and cut prices dramatically, or
    (2) Come up with newer and bigger models around the same price.

This widescreen really should be a 19 inch, since the current 17 inch does not require any adjustments.

Finally, Apple should reduce the costs of these models. Here are my predictions for new monitors:

Apple 17" 4:3. $399 to $599.
    Apple 19" wide. $799 to $1099.
    Apple Cinema Display 22". No more than $2000.

Congratulations to me on officially making 100 posts.

Congratulations to Apple, if they can pull this off.

6. dualburn001 macrumors regular

no offence or anything, but you sure these prices are reasonable? Apple makes the best monitors out thier and one of it's main competitors Sony makes 17 inch flat screens for about $800 or something so don't expect Apple to go much lower. Same on the 19 inch, as much as I want cheap monitors its not gonna be this cheap. Well the 22" i agree cause that thing is just really expensive.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, I think Apple can do something around this price range, because according to my latest issue of MacMall Magazine, some companies were selling their 17 inch LCD monitor for under $500 without a rebate.

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

Yours Truly: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS X. That DOES make me better than you!

8. dualburn001 macrumors regular

yea i know i heard of envision and thier $549 17 inch LCD, but you're not gonna compare Envision to Apple.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If there is an industry shortage on LCD's... i don't thnk Apple's going to be able to drop the prices...

arn

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Industry Shortage

Arn has got a point that it will be hard for Apple to lower their prices for LCD monitors with such high demand for them (in general) and that there is a shortage.

But how else have many of the other companies been able to reduce their prices for certain size monitors so dramatically? Apple has to do the same, or . . . who would want to pay for a $1000 17 inch monitor when some companies have them for $500 or less?

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Haha

Nice try on those prices. You cant even get a 15in LCD for 350! Raise the price 100 dollars because of apples quality!

12. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Re: Industry Shortage

It all comes down to quality vs. price.

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Proportions

You dont measure the price of an LCD by percent of size increase to percent of price increase (you probly all know this). I mean, a 17in Apple LCD would be around 750 then!

22in would be what, like 1100?

14. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i think apple's rebate offer is doin a good job right now. it gets the prices down to reasonable levels and also ensures that people buy new rather than used. i mean i could pick up a used powermac for pretty cheap but most people wont be selling the monitors so id have to fork over full price for an apple monitor. so apple has made it so its cheaper many times to buy a new poermac versus an old one. nice tactic.

as far as the 17" stretched sideways. if it is just as high as the current 17" and is stretched sideways then it will have a diagonal of probably around 19". a widescreen like this is the 19" you have all been asking for. but i still think it is make believe considering the quoted resolution. sounds like nice story telling to me.

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

19in

How about a 19in widescreen? I can see that, but not a 17in. 17in is a good computer for...again...an average type user. The 15in is also average, but the 17in is going more "pro"

16. eirik macrumors regular

17" iMac

From what I've read, the LCD shortage is hurting Apple badly with respect to meeting the demand for the new iMacs. Apple is missing a great opportunity right now because of supply problems. Apple has enjoyed fantastic publicity with the new iMac. If Apple supply had been able to meet demand, Apple would be generating even greater publicity that would lead to even greater market share.

If it were true that there is a ready supply of 17" LCD's that Apple could acquire right away, if I were Apple, depending upon unit cost and pricing position of course, I would consider rapidly adding an additional high-end iMac featuring a 17" LCD just so Apple could do a better job of meeting demand, selling the new iMac's while they're hot!

As for final pricing, I have no idea. Thus, I'm not emphatically advocating a 17" iMac in the short term. However, if Apple could maintain its margin targets with a 17" iMac that is less than $500 more than the current high-end 15" iMac, it may well be worth it.

Well, we'll see!

;)

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, Apple never decrease the prices that much unless the product is discontinued.

A good sign to see if new monitors are coming up is to watch the rebates.

17" LCD won't go under $900 I think. A wide screen would be nice and the resolution I guess is enough unless you wanna end up blind.

Who knows, too soon to create a rumor.

18. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I'm confused by the measurements you folks are tossing around.
    The 22" Cinema Display is ALREADY "the same height as" the 17" Studio Display, only wider... hence the 22" diagonal measurement. If you were to make a 19" wide (Cinema) display, it would the height of the 15" monitor.. and who would pay a grand for that?? 22" is the minimum, in my opinion, that you can make a Cinema Display and have it not look like something out of a Dali painting.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Size vs. Res

I agree, a wider but shorter monitor for more money wouldn't be all that practical. Maybe its not a matter of diagonal measurement, but dpi. There is talk of upping the Titanium's resolution, why not the 17" and 22". The video cards can certainly deal with the extra pixels.