"New" 2.5 g5...BT module installation....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PCM, Apr 30, 2005.

1. PCM macrumors regular

Hi..I just reserved a dual 2.5 stock computer for purchase tomorrow...I was hoping to have BT module installed. Will Apple install this at the store or is that not an option and will I have to use that D-Link BT adapter?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't actually know about PMs (on the laptops, it is not something that can be readily installed at the store or by the user), but I was just wondering...do any PCI BT cards work on a PM, since it has slots?

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was wondering the same thing. Been tempted by the blow out pricing on some of the older PM G5's.

4. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

same thought process I had. And, unfortunately, they are not "older" tech-wise compared to the "updated" g5's.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why is that an unfortunate thing? :(

Ooh, found you some reading material, dear:

http://tersus.no/bluetooth/

It is a guide on how to install the BT module in a PMG5...so at least then you'll know how complicated it is. Still doubt the store does it for you on the day of purchase, though. :(

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe the only in store upgrades are ram and airport cards. i think BT has to be a BTO option, which you can only do online.

might just be easier to get a USB dongle instead of going through the hassle

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With the PM G5, you end up having something sticking out of the back of the machine whether or not it's internal -- though one takes up the external USB port instead of the internal USB connection.