New 20" Cinema Display for $999 ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gekko513, Feb 12, 2004.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Looking at a CNET review of 5 20" displays I notice that the new displays from Dell and HP sells for $999.

Can we hope to see the next 20" Cinema Display at the same price point? Or should I not get my hopes up?
  2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
  3. .a macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2001
    dell displays are crap. we bougth one for my company (well, the 17" screen came for free (!) along with the 3.2 p4). though, the person who works with it got eyeache ... and works with an crt now :)
    anyway, the price is absolutely killing. two times a week i get fax advertisements by dell ... those prices are really good.
    anyway. like to pay three times more an get a dual g5 which will fit my demands perfectly!

waiting for those g5s ... and the new screen-family :)
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    dell displays are actually pretty good. Maybe not apple-good, but they are not crap. That 20"er is also currently discounted to $900 i believe, which is a pretty good deal.
  5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'm not particularly impressed with Dell's displays, but they're not bad, and they do tend to be cheap (that is Dell's specialty, after all).

It's interesting to note that if you look at the actual performance graphs that go with that review (for example, the one at the bottom of the top-rated-in-that-review Planar monitor, which shows the Dell and Apple displays as well), you'll notice that the Apple display is far and away brighter than any of the competing monitors, and bests everything but the Planar monitor in whatever their general quality test is.

Basically, you generally get what you pay for. The Dell is cheap, and it'll no doubt get the job done if you're not a quality fanatic, but it's not of the same calibre as a monitor that costs a few hundred dollars more. And that Planar is more expensive than the Apple monitor, despite being very nearly of the same performance grade and much brighter at the top end.

I do agree that Apple's monitors can really use an upgrade at some point here, but they're still being reviewed quite well against the competition in everything except price and support. They were just so far out ahead to start with that it's taken almost this long for the rest of the industry to catch up.

(*caveat: I know Apple doesn't make it's LCD screens, but the companies that do usually charge WAY more for the same panel in a different frame; I recently saw monitors using the same panel as the 20" Apple display selling for nearly $2000.)
  6. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Yes, that's interesting. Apple Cinema Display beats Dell on both performance (what ever they mean by that) and brightness, even if Dell claims a 250cd/m2 and Apple just 230 for brightness and contrast 400:1 vs 350:1.
  7. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a Samsung 20 inch that came with my Dell... It s a black one that has the dell logo on it. While its not as good as the 20-23" Cinema displays, its better then the 17" apple displays in my opinion in terms of resolution and contrast. And it I payed 700 bucks for a bigger display ...granted it doesnt match my mac :( .