New 20" iMac Intel Core Duo freezing on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doubtful, May 18, 2006.

1. Doubtful macrumors newbie

I just got a new 20" iMac Intel Core Duo that I was setting up and it seemed to be doing great. I did the software update and the firware update and all was going well until I tried to install photoshop. While it was installing I left the computer for a couple of minutes and when I came back the computer was asleep so I moved the mouse and the photoshop installation along with the rest of the computer was frozen. I thought restarting it with the power button would solve it but it froze up when the Mac OSX box popped up that said "Starting OSX"... I tried a few more times and on one attempt everything loaded such as the dock but the window with "Mac OSX" on it remained there and everytime the mouse passed over it I would get the beachball. Anyone have any idea on what I do next?

If it is of any relevance it has the 256 MB Video Ram and 2 GB of RAM installed (factory installed).

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. Doubtful thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, the problem has been solved. I checked out some links on Google (I had actually done that prior to posting here but didn't find the link with the solution). Anyway - as I mentioned I was installing Photoshop (Adobe Creative Suite, actually) and it turns out Adobe Version Cue was the culprit. After I started in Safe Boot mode and deleted Version Cue from the Library/StartUpItems(not sure if it is named "startupitems" but something to that effect) folder the computer booted normally.

Figured I would post the solution so that in case anyone else comes here with the problem it will show up if they do a search and it's here in case anyone is curious and can pass the knowledge on.

But now the iMac is back. :D All is well once more.