new 20"Imac or old dual 1.8 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by roofiecolatta, May 11, 2005.

1. roofiecolatta macrumors newbie

May 11, 2005
    I will be attending a four year college come fall, and i would like to have some opinions on whether it would be better to get the new 2ghz 20inch iMac for US$1699(including apple care plan) or the dual 1.8ghz powermac for US$1499 (not including apple care plan or display). The drawback with the Powermac ofcourse is the fact that it only has an 80 gb hard drive and i would also need to purchase an additional display. Also, the old powermac only has 64 mb of vram, the new imac has 128mb . I will be using the computer for research and word processing, but would also like to be able to edit video & play games occasionally. Also, does anyone know if the 100$ off promo for educational purchases also applies to the old powermac? (it applies to the Imac, making its actual cost 1599) Thanks for your help.
  2. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I just bought a new 20" iMac, and am in love with it. It sounds like for what you are doing this computer would be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of video/picture editing I'd boost up the RAM to around 1 or 2GB (the max).

As for the rebate, I don't know if the old PowerMac is an option, but I would lean towards no since it is no longer a new item that Apple sells.

Good luck (and nice username! Giggity Giggity!)
  3. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2004
    I was in the exact same situation as you: I'm going to college this fall, I needed a computer and I was choosing between the new iMac or the old dual 1.8 powermac. I chose the powermac for a number of reasons. The main two are expandability and speed. I can upgrade this computer over the years to come so it will always suit my needs. The iMac has virtually no expandability. As for speed, dual processors are an amazing thing. If you haven't worked on a dual processor powermac, try it. You can run multiple cpu-intensive programs with no visual slowdown.
  4. atomwork macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2001
    Miami Beach
    dual G5 tower

i got a 1.8 G6 iMac 2 month ago. Added 1GB of Ram. Still is very jumpy. I work at the office with a dual G5 2GHz and 2GB ram. Much faster... Much!
  5. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    How much did you pay for your new G6 iMac? ;) Where can I get a G6, too? ;)

Does Steve know you got your hands on the G6? :p