New 20" iMac Won't Connect!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TimDaddy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I just got my new iMac today, but I can't get it online!! I use Adelphia Powerlink, and have used it with my G3 iMac and my 15" G4 iMac. I connected it to the modem and opened system preferences. I chose Configure -->Using DHCP. On both other computers, it configures automatically. It is not working this time. It gives me the same number for IP Address and Subnet Mask, but nothing appears under Router. So, I tried Using DHCP with manual address, and entered the IP Address listed on the old computer. Still nothing. So, I then tried to configure manually, simply copying all the information from the old computer, including what is listed under Router. Didn't really expect this to work, and it didn't. Any suggestions?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is that a cable modem?

I know on my cable modem setup I have to unplug and restart the modem twice to get it to recognize a new number from the ethernet card. When I would switch computers (before I got my AEBS;) ) I would have to go through the routine to get the cable thing working. Don't know if that is even remotely related to your problem, but there you have it! Good luck.

3. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Fantastic, mactastic! Simple solution, but it worked!
    Normally, when I purchase a new computer, I bring it home, unhook everything, and give my desk a good cleaning. This time, I ordered online. I already had my desk cleaned long before the computer got here. I simply unhooked everything from the old computer, left the cords laying there, and put my new computer in its place. So, this time, the cable modem never had its power disconnected. Thanks for the help!

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You know, you can avoid that problem with a cheap-o Lynksis or D-Link router. Once the cable modem has been reset and accepts the router you can plug and unplug computers at will. Which reminds me, I need to go get a new modem from the cable company one of these days.... the plug is super loose on the modem because of all the plugging and unplugging I've done over the years!

5. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I may have to look into that. I've got an old Bondi iMac that I would like to use for folding, and sometime in the next year or so I plan to buy my kids an eMac, and let them help with Folding as well.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's well worth it, those things can be had for under $50 if you look around. It's a decent security measure too, any intruder will see the ip address of the router, the computers will be invisible to the average hacker. And you can't do much damage to/with a router. And you can network your computers, everyone has internet access... It's a beautiful thing.