New 20" iMacs and 17" Cinema displays?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hobie, Jan 28, 2003.

1. hobie macrumors member

Now that Apple has unveiled the new 20" cinema display, what about that:
    The new iMacs don't get a 19", but instead a new 20" HD display:
    1Ghz single proc
    20" HD
    The rest on BTO
    from $2200

They could save on supply costs like on the 17" iMac and the 17" PB.

Likewise, the 17" Studio display really needs a retirement. So what about a new 17" widescreen display, just the same as alredy in the 17" PB and iMac.

And Apple is likely to push Airport X. So when do you think might new iBooks come out?

What do you think?

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

umm, no. My wife has a 15" iMac and I have a 22" cinema display and just by the laws of gravity a 20" iMac will never happen. Never.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Lets say it could be done... Who would pay that much for an iMac?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think a better option would be to lose the display on the iMac completely and let people by the monitor they wan to go with it.

Reminiscent of Apples LCs.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

That goes with right along with the suggestion that I heard about reintroducing the Cube. The problem with the Cubes was the price. If people are willing to buy a non-expandable iMac to save desk space, then why not reintroduce the Cube, except have it cost less than the iMac this time. So bacially a Cube would be a couple hundred dollars less than the equivalent iMac.

I definitely don't think they should lose the existing iMac design, though - it's a brilliant design and there is a market for all-in-one computers.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree completely that they need to keep the current iMac. It's one of the all time best Apple designs without a doubt. Also there is no reason a cube couldn't be cheaper then an iMac now that the G4s have reached the consumer products. It should even be lower the the cost of an eMac.

7. thekaiser macrumors member

This would not be a wise move for Apple. Considering the low end powermac is a single 1Ghz. This machine plus the cost of a 20" monitor would be nearly 2800 dollars. If this imac were released, I think more people would just purchase it instead. Not to mention the top end imac would have things like a superdrive, which this low end powermac does not. You would also assume the new imac to have other new features like FW800 and Bluetooth support. I may be wrong, but I think it would be a bad move. However, if they did I would consider buying one for that price.