New 20 inch apple cinema display, am I prepared?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stevey500, Dec 13, 2004.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Ok, I just ordered a powermac g4 AGP 733mhz tower on ebay, Im unsure if it has ADC or not, its not a quicksilver or mirrored drive door g4, its just the original graphite. I also ordered an Apple 20 inch Cinema Display with ADC port, does the graphite g4 powermac have ADC, if not, what graphics card do you recommend that has ADC? Thanks

Also, the g4 I ordered comes with a 60gb drive but it is blank, I do not have panther install disks either, panther is installed on my current G3 tower on a 30gb drive, Will I be able to put that 30gb drive in my new g4 and boot to os/x ? Will I have any problems with licenses or anything? Im not too sure about it since my horrible experiences with windows.

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

no help :( ? please people please ! Christmas is comming!

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Your 733 will be ready to go with ADC. Also, you can probably get OSX from your G3 to the G4, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

The 733 is a great machine, you'll love it

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

As a rule, I think you can transfer HDs of newer computers to older ones, but not the other direction. You can certainly give it a try, though. You're not going to break anything. As far as licensing, I'm not sure. It's definitely not okay if you're keeping Panther on the G3 as well. Ordering a new copy of Panther might be your best bet.

According to Apple-history.com, the computer you ordered has VGA, DVI, and ADC connectors, so you shoudl be set.

5. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not going to run panther on the G3 and g4 at the same time, im just going to move the hard drive, not copy... but yeah i do hope that it does work. And I and for sure hoping this g4 i ordered on ebay has an ADC port :eek:

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

As long as the G3 hard drive isn't a SCSI hard drive you should be OK.

But...

If that is the original drive and is also an ATA drive, it will be dog-slow as well as ready to fail in a few years... just worn out.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah!

It needs to be set as Master to start, I think. Not sure. If it doesn't work and is set as slave, you know why...

7. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Thanks! I'll try it when it arrives.. i cant wait!!!!!