New 20"LCD on Old G4 DP 533

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dlastmango, Oct 18, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a new 20"LCD cinema display hooked up to my old Dualie 533 digital audio G4. Its is hooked up through the DVI connector to my second monitor Card. Its an 54MB PCI card.
    Should I be able to power on my system just by turning on my monitor??? if no, why not? does the DVI have to be in the AGP slot to have power control?
    I have a new Dulie 2.5 G5 on the way... will it power up that system or will I have to power the monitor and system up seperately?

Thanks for any and all input...

Chris

2. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The new displays will not power up either system. The new displays use DVI, which only transfers video. Only the old ADC connectors could power up the machines. You shouldn't have to worry about anything though. Just leave the monitor on all the time. After the computer goes to sleep or shuts off, the monitor goes into standby, which is essentially off. It will come back on once it detects a video signal when the machine comes back online.

3. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would assume that the power command would be sent via the USB cable.
    And how do you have a 54MB card? :confused:

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry.. slip of the fingers

64 MB video card... its an ATI 7000 i think

Sorry

5. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I assume it's a flashed PC card then, as I don't think ATI ever offered the 7000 in 64MB form for Macs.