NEW 2013 Retina Display Apple iMac 27" 3.4ghz Quad Core i7 768gb 32gb GTX 680M

Discussion in 'iMac' started by patricem, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

patricem

2. macrumors 65816

Toltepeceno

It also does your dishes, makes your bed and never has a headache at the wrong time.

3. macrumors 6502

AT06

Dodgy as hell - looks as though one person has fallen for it though!

4. macrumors member

Lets all place exaggerated bids.

5. macrumors regular

i reported it

6. macrumors regular

WrrN

Do people actually fall for this sort of thing? I guess they do, as I still get well intentioned friends forwarding scam/fake emails to help some cause, when a simple check on snopes.com shows it as fraudulent and having started in 2002.

Oh, I just won the bid on that item for $3,800. Cool!

7. macrumors 603

Aside from the retina error, where's the scam?

8. macrumors 6502a

Several things about this scream "scam"

* free worldwide shipping (massive, massive red flag)
    * request to be contacted by email first before bidding and indicating that bids will be cancelled otherwise (gigantic violation of ebay TOS)
    * $1000 buy it now price listed in the details after a 32GB memory upgrade (for a machine that costs $2000 from Apple in the base config).
    * the whole details page is a jpg image, designed to avoid ebay's automated text scanning system that quickly flags scam auctions by looking for things like "email me first" type text/

There is nothing about this auction that says legit. Anyone who falls for it is just not paying attention.

Likely his "terms of sale" that he wants to discuss are to be paid via paypal gift outside of ebay's payment system - that way he just runs off with the money, never sends the item which he very, very obviously does not have, and you have no way to get your money back.

As soon as an ebay rep sees the report they'll take this down.

9. macrumors regular

there are many pointers

location UK price in dollars

iLife does not contain iDVD

buy now price 1.000 per unit

email me before bidding

history

10. macrumors 603

Fair enough. On my phone so didn't read all the small stuff as I would normally do before bidding. Definitely a scam.

11. macrumors 68020

Two now.

12. macrumors member

Def a scam. From within the UK I also can't "buy this direct from within ebay.co.uk" (so to speak). When searching ebay.co.uk it is unlisted. Instead it's only available via ebay.com, coming up under 'International Sellers'... Can't believe ebay haven't taken it down yet

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Thanks for doing this. I tried to report it but couldn't find where to do it quickly or easily.

14. macrumors 6502

AT06

Three now! I've reported it also.

15. macrumors newbie

Four now ! I hate Scammers..:mad:

16. macrumors 601

I thought that was allowed, you see it all the time in if you have lower or zero feedback contact me first etc

17. macrumors 603

The whole point of that auction is to collect people's data via mails they send in attempt to hack their ebay accounts afterwards...

18. macrumors 6502

AT06

Anyone reading this thread, please follow the ebay link and report the auction on ebay - you would be doing someone a great kindness by not letting them get scammed.

19. macrumors regular

Good idea, it's actually embarrassing that eBay has not taken it down yet. Their reporting system seems insufficient.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Link?

Can you post the link?

Just the price let's you know it's a scam....$1000 for a brand new Imac? E-bay will be on it and notify those bidders. Hopefully they haven't already contacted the scammer on his private e-mail address.

21. AndiS., Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

macrumors regular

The link is at the beginning of the thread.

Fortunately the scammer isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but I really would like to kick him and his buddies where it hurts. Repeatedly. eBay has to take this clown down now

Update/ actually called eBay, since there probably are people writing to those douchemongers as long as the auction os live. l hope they have it down soon.

22. macrumors newbie

scam 100 % :D

Attached Files:

23. macrumors regular

And it's still up, even though they were supposedly looking at it. eBay is really helping the scammers out on this one...oh, well. Hey, if you're already on eBay, check out the Lamborghini Aventador I'm selling for $9,999, free world wide shipping, but pleese sender ur soshial securities numbers and pic of passport first. It's the retina version of course and it comes with a free copy of Bar Rafaeli.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Wow that's just unreal. I think I just won the trillion dollar lottery too. All I have to do is send 1 million with my info and I'll get 1 trillion in return. Whoo hoo sign me up!! :p

25. macrumors regular

$1000 buy it now for a machine that retails at over $3000 us without the ram upgrades and people cant see a scam.........greedy people :(