New 21.5" iMac Fan Noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by villiard, Dec 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey new iMac 2012 users, just out of curiosity...

After turning on the iMac, how silent should the computer be? 'Cause I can definitely hear a slightly subtle 'wooshing' sound of the fan in a quiet room. I did upgrade my iMac with the new FusionDrive hoping to eliminate a significant amount of fan noise. Did I receive a lemon??? :confused:

Thanks guys.

2. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

3. macrumors 6502a

mine is completely silent until I open up either photoshop or premiere, then I get a faint fluttering sound

...but when I either apply a filter or render in premiere, it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!

4. macrumors member

Don't worry. My 27" has a constant fan sound as well. It's not really loud or annoying or anything but you can hear it when the room is really quiet.
    It think that's normal and just the way it is since other people have reported the same.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, thanks.

----------

lol! you should get it replaced. i just ran photoshop on mine, i still get the constant ongoing "whoosh" sound. similar to a jet plane mid-flight on cruise control...

----------

Do you happen to know what your fan speed is? I just downloaded iStat Menus at it says my main fan speed is currently at 1399rpm. The sound isn't annoying, it just seems that my system is being overworked for nothing.

6. macrumors regular

my 27 imac fan speed is idol at 1200 ...

hope thihs helps, i too have a dead quiet room and didnt know its normal for the fan to be on all the time

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.

8. macrumors 68000

azentropy

The fusion drive does nothing to reduce noise, if anything the additional flash storage module adds to noise by generating more heat than a HDD alone requiring the system fan to run longer and possibly at a higher RPM.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't offer a flash only or SSD only option which would have eliminated the HDD noise and cut down the system fan even further since a SSD or flash module generates less heat than a HDD.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

So my fan speed at 1398rpm is considered normal? Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

My 2011 iMac does this too. I chalked it up to the bearings in the fan.

I'll probably replace it eventually but lugging an iMac to the Apple store is low on my fun scale.

12. macrumors regular

I hate it to. I'd much rather ship it back and forth. But for a repair, it sounds easier to bring it to a store.

13. macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

My music usually is louder than it. I was temped to find an RPM using smcFanControl that it doesn't purr at.

14. macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yes, ~1400rpm is the minimum the fan will run at. I can barely hear mine at this speed. So if yours is loud I would say something isn't right.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay cool. Yeah it isn't necessarily loud, it is only noticeable in a quiet room. It's not dead silent that's for sure. I may just be really picky...

16. macrumors 6502a

I thought it was 1200rpm

17. macrumors 68000

azentropy

The 27" is 1200rpm.