New 23" ACD or refurbished one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dreadnought, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hi,

I'm want to buy a 23" ACD to go with my dual 1.8. I was wondering if there are any big differences between the new (after the latest price drop two weeks ago), and the old metal case ACD? And what's the difference between the metal case and the plastic one? I heard somewhere that the responsetime is slower on the plastic one, and because I also do a bit of gaming, I don't want to see my mouse with a tail! :D Furthermore I do a bit of webdesign and this 23" would come in place of a 20" Apple Multiple Scan and 17" B&W monitor. Any advice??

2. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

check your pm

3. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hi Mike, saw your post, but if I do get a second hand one, then I'll buy it here in the Netherlands. I wan't to see it work before I buy it. I think I'll get a new one. But does anyone know if the response time is faster then the old ones with the plastic case. A sales rep told me this, he had customers that do graphic design which said the new one was much more responsive. Although I believe the stats are the same: 16 mS.

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would check out the new 23" ACD, I have been using mine for the past year and a half and really like it, I haven't had any problems with it. The picture is a lot better on it vs. the old plastic display. The only thing I would say is that once you use it everyday, you could never use a small display again.

5. pionata macrumors 6502

Damn stop this, Im getting mine in just a few days... :p

Cant even think about something else atm.

6. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Thanks Mike for the site to compare the two (everymac.com)! Although it doesn't say anything about responsetime. But the contrast ratio is better, better dpi and better brightness. I know now what my next big purchase is gonna be! Also talked to my brother today, who ones his own company, and we can deduct the tax through his company! So that saves 19% (the tax rate in the Netherlands...), which is about 250 Euro's! Time to buy an Airport Extreme and a bit of Ram for my iBook (old Ram module died on me last week... so it's pretty slow on just 128MB ram).

Pionata: good luck with it!

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

We expect pictures in the Picture Gallery forum! :)

8. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

advice...

Advice?..yes..buy the Dell 24" for $779 with a Dell coupon. I think the coupons just expired, but they will be back...soon. Go to barefeats.com..which is an **Apple** fan site...see their review of the Dell 24" vs Apple 23". The Dell is a better performing monitor...bigger...and $520 cheaper! It works great with my revD 17" PB. Good luck...

oops...i don't think the Dell coupons are "good" in Europe :(
    Well, the Dell is still better..bigger and less money than the Apple 23.

9. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Not again that Dell story... I already read that in every buying thread which has to do with monitors! I want a display that goes with my G5 and one that I can transport (lanparties!!), everyone knows that Dell has such a thin, cheap plastic enclosure that it already brakes when you look at it, and they are just plain ugly! My heart is already set on the 23" ACD. Looks before performance! I think I'll wait till January, till MWSF. Rumor already goes that Apple will update the ACD's! And then we will see that looks and performance will kick the 24" ugly Dell! lol!! :D Owh, thanks for your opinion jaduffy.