New 24" Imac for XMAS, or wait till after MWSF?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mleewill, Nov 9, 2006.

1. mleewill macrumors newbie

Hi

I think im getthing an iMac 24" for xmas. But do you think there will be any changes to the existing imac line up (specs etc ) of the 24" imac? I know waiting for leopard but that wont be included till march i think so that out the question.

Any advice greatly welcome, first major desktop mac this will be after 1 ibook and 1 powerbook, oh and one hackintosh which been using to see if it did what i ant before moving to mac osx completly!! get in!

thanks

mark

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

There might well be a change to the line up... Its impossible to tell. The new Imac 24" looks pretty cool to me and it has Core 2 Duo so it'll be able to take advantage of 10.5's 64 bit capabilities :) I think it'd make an amazing Christmas present.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, there's nothing in the Core 2 Duo upgrade pipeline till April which could be after the release of Leopard or not - who knows?

What you will get if you wait till MWSF is iLife '07 pre-installed - not an insignificant addition and it would save you and extra purchase. MWSF isn't too far away - only 8 weeks so waiting wouldn't be too difficult unless you really need it now.

4. mleewill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yeah think it will be got for xmas, i can live with the upgrade price of ilife to be fair, one of them pressies for xmas day type situation.

Being ignorant, did not know core duo 2 would be able to run leopard in native 64-bit mode, thats right innit?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

"innit"?

But yes, that is right. The Core 2 Duo processor is 64bit and as such will run Leopard in native 64bit mode. The Core Duo and G4 will run Leopard in native 32bit mode. You're unlikely to see any real benefit (based on "average" usage patterns) from 64bit for quite some time yet - currently it's really only useful for scientific and mathematical programming that requires access to large amounts of memory.

6. whawhat macrumors 6502

if you don't want to wait till spring '07, get one now. they are excellent machines for the $. i think apple will come out w/ a redesign by april/may, however, with white and black versions (just look how sucessful the black ipod and macbook are doing) ;)