Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I just completely disagree. Going from a retina MacBook Pro to an iMac, you can feel that the DPI is lower.
I would way the **** rather have a hi-DPI 27 inch than a 4k 32-inch without pixel doubling. Or any other combo. 32 inches is too big for my taste anyway.
Actually, I would rather lose a bit of space and gain clarity than vice versa.

I am with you 100%. I'm not a video editor, but just a developer across windows, mac, etc. Coming from rMBP my 27's look awful. With my rMBP I can change "resolutions", which helps a lot. It's sort of like an advanced CRT.

But the extra usable space that the monitor will bring will be huge and well worth the money.

I think ideally, I'd love a dual retina 24s (like the Dell).

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I am with you 100%. I'm not a video editor, but just a developer across windows, mac, etc. Coming from rMBP my 27's look awful. With my rMBP I can change "resolutions", which helps a lot. It's sort of like an advanced CRT.

But the extra usable space that the monitor will bring will be huge and well worth the money.

I think ideally, I'd love a dual retina 24s (like the Dell).

Dual retinas would be a beast to run. I can only dream!

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Dual retinas would be a beast to run. I can only dream!

Yeah, but not sure I'd want dual 27 retina's. I have dual 27's TB's and it's a little much. Or at least it won't be worth it for the extra $$ for 27's.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
You're saying Apple always pioneers screen resolution... in a thread about a 5K Dell monitor, the first of its kind? Do you not see the problem with your point of view?

I meant in mainstream consumer electronics. They're always the ones pushing the low tier screen resolution up. The Macs always had high screen resolutions for the times, and think of the retina iPhone, retina iPad, and rMBP that were the first popular devices of their kinds. This Dell monitor isn't in the consumer-level price range.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Yep.

After having to replace the logic board AND graphics card for my 2011 27" 2 years in ($1,000), I'm done with the iMac.

Too much heat in tight quarters.

So once mine dies (again), I'm somewhat stuck; Mac mini (underpowered) or Mac Pro (overpowered/overpriced for me).

Damn it, Apple. Build an xMac already! I reeeally don't want to Hackingtosh!!

Then again, I can always look for an old Mac Pro, but then Apple wouldn't get my money. ;)

Is the Mini really that under-powered? I couldn't imagine much benefit from anything beyond a 2.6GHz i7, and it supports lots of RAM.

I suppose there is the lack of a discrete graphics card, but I feel like iGPUs are getting a lot better. I'd like to see them go back to throwing in the option of a dGPU though for consumer choice sake alone, and solve the thermal issues that would present either with the engineering of the case, or adding thickness. The mini could be thicker and still be beautiful. I don't feel like they need a tower though, or a separate product for that matter.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Is the Mini really that under-powered? I couldn't imagine much benefit from anything beyond a 2.6GHz i7, and it supports lots of RAM.

I suppose there is the lack of a discrete graphics card, but I feel like iGPUs are getting a lot better. I'd like to see them go back to throwing in the option of a dGPU though for consumer choice sake alone, and solve the thermal issues that would present either with the engineering of the case, or adding thickness. The mini could be thicker and still be beautiful. I don't feel like they need a tower though, or a separate product for that matter.

Apple doesn't need anything; they have more money than anyone as is.

Yes, the mini is underpowered, when compared to the iMac. An iMac without the screen would bridge the gap between the mini and the Pro. I just don't want an all-in-one. A smaller, old Mac Pro setup without the high end Xeons would've been nice. Hell, I would've bought a low end, updated version of it with TB and USB3 over the Tube (sexy as it may be).

This is all wishful thinking that will go nowhere though; Apple is targeting very specific markets/customers, and computer "enthusiasts" are not one of them anymore.

Sigh...

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
2011 iMac - there's your problem right there. The 2011 models ran hot. The slim 2012+ redesign cured all those problems. It's not a space heater any more, despite the power packed into an even slimmer package.

That's good to know. I've heard of other issues though, as they relate to the screen being glued on (and thus falling off).

Regardless, I don't want an all-in-one; particularly when I cannot access the internals.

That said, iMacs are an amazing value and for those less picky than I, it is a great machine.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I just realized we keep talking about how TB2 cannot handle a 5k stream, except why can't it? I can daisy chain 2 TB displays at full rez. Or do you need to be able to do 4?

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX

Attachments

• 7-minute-abs1.jpg
    7-minute-abs1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 66

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
After OS X 10.10.3 update, I have the Dell 5K display running at 5120x2880 60Hz on the 'late 2013' Mac Pro 'Turbo Tube' using the dual mDP to DP cables that come with the display. It exhibits the Retina effect scaled to 2560x1440 -- identical in quality to the iMac 5K sitting next to it.

Also works with the 2010 Mac Pro tower with the Geforce GTX 970, 980, and TITAN X.

Wish Apple offered their own version of the 5K display. I have to say this is one of the nicer looking Dell displays with height adjustment and option to pivot to portrait mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.