New 2nd-gen nano buzzes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cgi101, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cgi101 macrumors member

My brand new 8gb 2nd generation ipod nano emits a high pitched buzz. This buzz is heard at all times while the ipod is on, regardless of if the backlight is on or off. It is VERY noticeable in a quiet room, and I find it problematic!

What have other nano owners found? Do you have the buzz or not?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have had mine since Wednesday last week. No issues as of yet. Quiet as a thumb drive .

I wonder if something is shorting out the internal speaker or something along those lines?

3. cgi101 thread starter macrumors member

4. cgi101 thread starter macrumors member

I've also just noticed the weird fluctuating electrical sounds it makes when 'seeking' (e.g. if I skip ahead or back a few songs while playing). Do others have this as well?

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Nope it is a 2gb, however Ars Technica appears to state that the internals are the same with the exception of memory chips holding more on the 8gb model.

I know of a few others on these forums that have the black 8gb, I haven't seen any complaints from them yet. I would recommend exchanging yours if it is doing these strange things, I am sure if it is reproducible, you won't have any issues.

6. cgi101 thread starter macrumors member

I checked at the apple support discussions, and apparently others are having this problem as well. In addition, we are having a problem where the screen is blank white when you turn the ipod on by turning the hold switch off.

Anyways, if anyone else has this problem, check out:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3162410
    and
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=647069

I called Apple Support today about my problem. After explaining the problem with the high pitched buzz, the support representative told me we'd have to exchange it for a new one. He didn't ask me any further questions, or even ask if I had tried to restore the iPod.... so maybe they already know about this problem? Someone on the apple discussions (see above links) said the support rep told them it's a known problem they are investigating...