New 30" Display w/ ATI X800XT - pink and blue pixels/artifacts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by txdawg, Aug 9, 2006.

1. txdawg macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2006
    I have a Mac Dual 2GHz G5 purchased in 10/03. I just bought a new Apple 30” HD Cinema Display and after a lot of research splurged on the ATI Radeon X800 XT graphics card to power it.

I loaded the software for both and installed both on Thursday evening (despite the card coming with instructions for a different card) and they worked fine.

On Monday morning, (bringing the screen out of sleep in the morning), the screen was covered with pink and teal glowing pixels/artifacts. Dragging an open window (such as a safari window) across the screen seems to make the teal pixels collect on the white areas of that window, covering it in teal.

Discussions on the Apple Discussions board led me to believe this was a problem with the new 30” monitor ( The only difference with most of those posters is that they seemed to have some thing they could do that would make the pixels dissapear for a short time (such as changing resolution, turning the monitor off and back on, etc.) They also refer to theirs as “dancing” pixels – mine are stationary if I am not moving anything on the screen.

Unable to get anything to work, I went back to my old 17” monitor on Tuesday. When I plugged it in, it now had the very same glowing pixels/artifacts on it as well., which leads me to suspect the video card. After a while the pixels have been joined by red and green ones as well.

Pictures of the screen can be found here:
    (click on shots to view them at full size)

All OSX and software is up to date, and all updates, hotfixes, and drivers etc from the ATI site have been installed as well. Both monitors and the G5 are cool to the touch.

Complete specs on my system:
    Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
    ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
    Chipset Model: ATY, R420
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM: 256 MB

Here are the things I have tried with no success in even getting the pixels to disappear temporarily. In fact, they seem to be multiplying:

Turning the energy saver off
    Turning the screen off and back on
    Rebooting the system
    Changing the resolution
    Changing color options in preferences
    Clearing the pram
    Lowering the brightness
    Installing Switch resX and lowering the refresh to 58Hz
    Blowing compressed air to clear all dust in ports and in G5
    Reseating the X800 XT card
    Probably some other things I’ve forgotten… none has caused any change whatsoever in the offending pixels.

Any suggestions from anyone before I call Apple and they blame the ATI card, or before I call ATI and they blame Apple?

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    I believe its the card.

If I remember right, iGary had this same problem with the card in his Dual 2.7.
  3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    I would also think it is a defective card. If you plugged in your other monitor and got the same thing that would lead me to think the card has gone.
  4. txdawg thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2006
    If it is the card, any thoughts or experiences out there of whether to get a new of the same card or is this a combo that just doesnt work, so go with a different card altogether? (And any recommendations on which?)
  5. txdawg thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2006
    so far, so good...!!

I was hesitant to post this because I didnt want to jinx myself (!), but I sent the original card back (hopefully will get a refund), bought a second card, and the monitors have been working fine with the second card. So, it appears it was just a bad card. Its been a week and so far so good. (the first card was fine for 2 days and then went sour)....

thanks to everyone who offered advice!