Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Every button is a joy to press and in the right location. (I say this as someone who had a regular 3DS as their main system with that awful select-home-start button layout). There's less travel on the face buttons too, makes it feel "snappier".

One thing I'd like to know about is the new analog nibblet. My first impressions of it is that it seems too small to feel comfortable, and its positioning in relation to the other buttons looks pretty awkward. Since you've got some hands-on time with it, what's your opinion?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
As far as I understood yesterday, the XL doesn't have interchangeable faceplates, it doesn't come with an AC adapter, and it only comes in metallic colours as opposed to the nice white and black of the normal size model. I'll never understand why Nintendo make decisions like that but I guess that's the way it is and, sadly, will probably always be. The last DS I've had is a DS Lite and I was going to get a New 3DS XL but with this information I'm pretty sure I'll be going for a white New 3DS, a charging dock, and a set of faceplates. I can't wait!

Which model are you all considering? :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
One thing I'd like to know about is the new analog nibblet. My first impressions of it is that it seems too small to feel comfortable, and its positioning in relation to the other buttons looks pretty awkward. Since you've got some hands-on time with it, what's your opinion?

It works fine in Smash Bros. It's not like a second analogue slider, it doesn't really move when you push it, it just squishes in slightly. Very hard to explain. But it's very accurate and does work. It's not uncomfortable but I wonder how it'd perform with a twin-stick FPS. It's difficult to press the face buttons accidentally. The 4 shoulder buttons are all within reach too, that part is actually really neat. It's very easy to press all 4 at once or any individually, and with that in mind I think it's going to be great for games like Monster Hunter.

----------

As far as I understood yesterday, the XL doesn't have interchangeable faceplates, it doesn't come with an AC adapter, and it only comes in metallic colours as opposed to the nice white and black of the normal size model. I'll never understand why Nintendo make decisions like that but I guess that's the way it is and, sadly, will probably always be. The last DS I've had is a DS Lite and I was going to get a New 3DS XL but with this information I'm pretty sure I'll be going for a white New 3DS, a charging dock, and a set of faceplates. I can't wait!

Which model are you all considering? :)

Correct, only the regular New 3DS has interchangeable faceplates. Neither system comes with a charger, the old XL didn't have a charger either. I can see why they do it, it lets them save on packaging and I'm willing to bet most New 3DS owners will be upgrading from an older model. Plus then there's also the option of getting a USB charge lead rather than the standard AC one or one more fitting to yourself.

Even if the Ambassador programme included the XL, I'd still go for the normal one. I find the resolution is too low for such a big screen on the XL, and the regular New screen is bigger than the regular Old screen without much increase in device size. The faceplates... something I never thought I'd jump on, are actually quite the draw for me. I've already ordered a few from importers :eek:
I mod old consoles so it's nice to be able to not void my warranty getting the look I'm after!

----
More discoveries;
- I'm trying to break the headtracking and work out its flaws. Moving your head is the best way to cause it to "rescan" (where the screen flickers once or twice), keeping your head still and moving the device causes no flicker, the 3D adjusts perfectly. So those 3D+Gyro games work really well on this.
- The battery is just a bit better than the old one. I got 4 hours out of mine yesterday. It's supposed to last 8 hours for DS/DSi games.
- There is no menu loading, even playing Smash Bros and going into the web browser has the same delay as just loading up the web browser with no game on.
- Charge dock is a bit tight. You can't just drop it on like with the old 3DS. You have to push it down until the light comes on.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
---------

[/COLOR]

Even if the Ambassador programme included the XL, I'd still go for the normal one. I find the resolution is too low for such a big screen on the XL, and the regular New screen is bigger than the regular Old screen without much increase in device size.

That's a good point, it makes the regular 3DS a lot more compelling, though I'd leap at the chance to buy the Majora's Mask XL if they release it here in the UK.

Seeing as my younger brother all but commandeered my XL, I'm probably going to pick up a new one when they launch next month.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
hmmmmmmmmmm...
I'm tempted to pre-order a 'new' 3DS XL Zelda edition. Too bad it doesn't come with the game though. Looks like it's selling out online pretty fast too.

Is the Metallic Blue color not coming to the US?

Edit- doesn't look likely I'll get to preorder the Zelda 3DS XL, been sold out for the last 2 days. Lots of them went to scalpers from what I read. About 1,000 of them posted to eBay going for $400+ within the first 2 hours. There were a bunch of them on Amazon when I looked last night. Down to 9 listings last I looked, starting at $450. Lame. Oh well. The red one keeps looking better and better to me...

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmm...
I'm tempted to pre-order a 'new' 3DS XL Zelda edition. Too bad it doesn't come with the game though. Looks like it's selling out online pretty fast too.

Is the Metallic Blue color not coming to the US?

Edit- doesn't look likely I'll get to preorder the Zelda 3DS XL, been sold out for the last 2 days. Lots of them went to scalpers from what I read. About 1,000 of them posted to eBay going for $400+ within the first 2 hours. There were a bunch of them on Amazon when I looked last night. Down to 9 listings last I looked, starting at $450. Lame. Oh well. The red one keeps looking better and better to me...

My hatred for scalpers...cannot be described (still seething over missing out on the 20th Anniversary PS4).

Ruining the fun for everyone else :mad:

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I wanted one too... But I blame myself for crawling at the chance instead of jumping. Few other sites will have preorders for the Majora Mask version soon.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My hatred for scalpers...cannot be described (still seething over missing out on the 20th Anniversary PS4).

Ruining the fun for everyone else :mad:

I tried to sell my spare 3DS on eBay but nobody put a bid on, base bid was the cost I paid for it too! I don't get it. They were going for £100+ the base price last week. Ah well, CEX wouldn't take it either.

Scalping fades away pretty quickly, at least with this Ambassador 3DS.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
So if I bought a 3ds from a different country, would I still be able to play US games, can I download games from the NA Nintendo eShop.
I guess I'm asking what are the limitations of me doing this?

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
So if I bought a 3ds from a different country, would I still be able to play US games, can I download games from the NA Nintendo eShop.

From what I've read the 3ds/new 3ds is region locked. Need a NA 3ds for NA games, UK 3ds for UK games, etc.
I think UK and Australia share the same region so games/consoles would be compatible for either.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

You'd then have to import games from that region. Sucks doesn't it! Region Locking is by the far the worst feature for a console in this age.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Yesterday I was able to have a little bit of hands on with a New 3DS XL in black. I can confirm everything that Dagless experienced with regards to the shoulder buttons and c-stick. Easily reached, but not really accidentally pressable. And the c-stick reminds me of a firm laptop tracking stick. Like the ones Lenovo uses for the ThinkPads. It knows which way you're pushing, but doesn't really move at all.

And the main reason I wanted to comment on this is that the black seems to be more of a silver color due to the pattern underneath the plastic. It isn't a matte black, but a clear coat over a metallic black texture. Quite a sight to behold. I was initially unsure of any of the US models (MH4, black, red, and Zelda) outside of the Zelda one. But with that one being sold out so rapidly, it was nice to see that the black and red have a very nice metallic finish to the exterior of the device. I'd like to see a red and MH4 in person to get a feel for the finish. But currently the black is the one I'm considering picking up.

It's too bad that for now, NA won't get the normal sized one with faceplates. I'd really love the option to swap out, or even customize the plates. But if we want an upgrade now, we have to stick to the XLs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Quite a sight to behold.

I really want to see one of these now! Given the choice I would have gone for black if the ambassador programme had the option. I always thought the upper-shell was black because it helped the stereoscopic 3D effect. But since using the white one for a couple of weeks now it's been fine.

And just an update - after using it for weeks the 3D effect is perfect now. Not once has it struggled to present the "sweet spot" effect. Very very happy with this. It feels more durable because of that. My only complaint is I wish they unlocked the New CPU speed for older games so they could run smoother. The Vita did this with PSP games, so it's a bit sad Nintendo didn't enable this.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Am I insane? I can't find the new 3ds on amazon. It looks like just the Japanese versions are there.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Who all acquired a New 3DS XL here in good ol' North 'Murrica? How do ya like it?

My household has just about every generation of DS (including the original) but this is our first XL. Not sure I dig it -- bit too lacking in the portability/pocketability department.

Form factor aside, quite a zippy device. I booted this thing up side-by-side with my normal-sized 3DS and the N3X was up and running in about 1/4 the time.

Screen quality seems subpar. Very warm color tone (I played with auto-brightness and level to no avail), uneven backlight on the upper display and a bit of light bleed along the left edge (upper screen) that will drive my OCD into overdrive. :/ Are these gadgets still made at Foxconn?

I got the red variant at my local Best Buy on the 13th. Took them 30 mins to find them; the overnight crew didn't put them out on display, or so I was told. They didn't "do their job", as the blue shirt guy helping me out stated.

Picked up Monster Hunter 4 and Majora's Mask. Didn't know didley about the MH series; as for Major's, didn't get to play it during my college years & I'm looking forward to it now. Got 5 Zelda titles on DS/3DS to chug threw. Eep. (Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, Ocarina of Time, Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask).

- Keith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.