Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i'm.huMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
So when they announced the latest iPod touch, I got all excited and wanted to get my hands on it. Especially since it's pretty close to the iPhone 5 disregarding the cellular capabilities, of course.

Now, with all the iPad mini rumors circulating, I'm confused on whether I should purchase the touch or wait for the mini which they say is going to be announced in Apple's October event.

Also, with the starting price of the iPod touch at $299, I can't really imagine how Apple is going to price this rumored iPad mini.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I think iPad mini won't come any time soon. They'll propably present it along with iPad 4 at the keynote sometime in january-february of 2013. iPad mini price will start maybe at 399$ for 8-16gb model and will be much worse than iPad 3 not to mention iPad 4. I suggest you buy iPod touch 5 now and wait for iPad mini if it's gonna be better at a reasonable price then you sell iPod and buy iPad mini.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think iPad mini won't come any time soon. They'll propably present it along with iPad 4 at the keynote sometime in january-february of 2013. iPad mini price will start maybe at 399$ for 8-16gb model and will be much worse than iPad 3 not to mention iPad 4. I suggest you buy iPod touch 5 now and wait for iPad mini if it's gonna be better at a reasonable price then you sell iPod and buy iPad mini.

All the rumor sites claim the iPad mini is being announced in October so Apple can start selling them for the holidays. They are all rumors though so who knows :D. Since the 5th gen Touch will not be on sale till October, the OP should just wait until the end of October to see if an iPad Mini is announced before buying the new Touch.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Good point he can wait so am I :) But... those rumors are really just a rumors. In case of iPhone 5 we've had leaked picutures of real phone long before the premiere. In case of iPad mini all we have is mock ups. If Apple had been working on this, real prototypes would've been leaked long ago. At this poin it's totally illogical to release iPad mini in october. Why? Because Apple's lineup for the holidays is very strong. iPads both iPad 2 and 3 are selling like crazy, so is iPhone 5 and will probably be the same with iPod touch 5. I think Apple will make big keynote after holiday season to present both iPad 4 and maybe iPad mini. Yeah he can wait till october. Waiting more would be just a waste of time, casuse iPad's mini release is pure speculation at this moment.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Buy a touch when they are available (October) ... then when (if) the mini is announced, go play with it. I'm sure the internals won't make a huge difference, and you won't be able to fit a mini in your pocket. Then, if you like the mini more ... return the iPod and buy it. Simple.

DJLanglois

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I have a iPad 3 and a last-gen Touch. And I've just preordered the new Touch.

For me, the iPad Mini doesn't make sense. If I'm going to use something that takes two hands (which the mini certainly does), I'm going to go with the full-sized iPad.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Agreed. I really can't see the point of an iPad mini. Unless you have sandpaper to San your fingers down that screen size is way too tiny.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
Agreed. I really can't see the point of an iPad mini. Unless you have sandpaper to San your fingers down that screen size is way too tiny.

For me, the iPad Mini doesn't make sense. If I'm going to use something that takes two hands (which the mini certainly does), I'm going to go with the full-sized iPad.

i have an ipad 3.
i do alot of traveling. on buses, trains and planes. always on the move.

if i need to do any real proper work i use a macbook air.
for everything else i find the ipad too heavy and too awkward when i'm on the move, in a hurry, standing in crowded buses and trains.

if people don't get that and it doesn't make sense to them then it NEVER will.
if you don't like the idea of an iPad mini, don't come here and don't buy one.

----------

also, if they actually made an ipod that took a sim for data, then that might be doable. but as it stands they only do that for ipad models.

like i said, i travel and have no need to be locked into a 24 month phone contract.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
You're right. There is absolutely a market for the iPad mini, I just think that personally the iPod touch would be a better choice. A pocketable computer VS another thing I have to carry around.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Currently using ipad3, will upgrade my touch to 5G when it comes out :cool:

But I don't mind a 7" iPad mini just as a media tablet. I can use it as my TV guide, click on the program and it starts streaming to my ATV and AirPlay speakers. I can also use it as a remote keyboard for the ATV too.

The October event is to announce the new iTunes , it would be the perfect event to announce a media tablet too. :apple:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The type of app that you will get on the ipad is greater (ipad can run iphone apps but not vice versa). So i'm voting the ipad mini.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
The type of app that you will get on the ipad is greater (ipad can run iphone apps but not vice versa). So i'm voting the ipad mini.

iPad mini might be just a media tablet and will run the Apple TV front-end and won't let you install any apps from the iTunes store.

:D

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I can guarantee you, we won't see an iPad mini this year. And its still not guaranteed that its coming at all. Buy the touch. If the iPad mini does come out, and you want it, you can take advantage of the fact that Apple products have good resale value, and flip the touch.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010

i seriously never get that comment Steve Jobs made about sand papering your fingers down..... what about the iPhone?? The biggest selling product and flagship.... It does exceptionally well at an even smaller size and requires no sand paper.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
i seriously never get that comment Steve Jobs made about sand papering your fingers down..... what about the iPhone?? The biggest selling product and flagship.... It does exceptionally well at an even smaller size and requires no sand paper.

That is why Apple are putting so much money into Siri

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I had the original iPhone which I sold, then I got the iPod Touch 4th generation. I have looked at the new iPhone 5 and I think that iPod Touch 4th Gen is a better screen for games. However, I am excited about iPad mini and probably will buy it because the current iPad is too big and heavy.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I had the original iPhone which I sold, then I got the iPod Touch 4th generation. I have looked at the new iPhone 5 and I think that iPod Touch 4th Gen is a better screen for games. However, I am excited about iPad mini and probably will buy it because the current iPad is too big and heavy.

how can the ipod touch 4 have a better screen? it is only a cheap TN and not an IPS.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

What Jobs meant was fitting the 10" iPad interface into a 7" display, which would've made the touch targets smaller than the iPhone's. The rumored iPad Mini is roughly 8" and thus fits somewhere between those two sizes, resulting in touch targets that are exactly the same in size as the iPhone's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.