New 5th Gen iPod!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iPost, Jan 22, 2005.

1. iPost macrumors regular

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Wow that would be pretty cool. So the regular iPods will start to become what... PowerPods. :cool:

I was also concerned about how much these things will start to weigh (because I have spindly arms and can barely support 10 oz. :rolleyes: ) once they strat really getting up there in hard drive space. But that single plater technology sounds great. Keep em coming Toshiba!

3. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Actually I think I would prefer they stay with the white look. But honestly and 80GB iPod no matter what the color would sell me! I guess I would have to see it before I can say for sure. :)

Very cool news either way!!! :D

4. AnewMac macrumors regular

80 gigs!!

Wow, I wonder if they will be heavier as well?

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

6. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

The thinksecret article also predicted new Powerbooks for Tuesday! It said the following week at the latest. We must be very close now.

7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I certainly wouldn't expect this very vague rumor to make it to the front page. It is not very revolutionary to report that Apple is working on the 5G iPods... does anyone think that they are just going to stay with the 4G's forever? Of course not. It's also not a big step to think that they will try to use the biggest drives available.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing these reports give that is not already evident is the color change.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not sure that I like the idea of the 5G iPod taking on more of the look of the mini Ipod.

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

That is like saying that is not big news that a new PM is coming out because they are going to put the best stuff in it and it won't stay at dual 2.5 forever.

10. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I agree, but the rumor is not that the 5G iPod is "coming out" as you stated, but that they are working on it. Thinksecret says that they think it will be a summer release, but they do not say anything about inside sources. I was merely commenting that it would not warrant front page status to proclaim "5G iPods coming!" Now, if Thinksecret were to have said that insiders report final touches are being put on it, or marketing photos are being taken, then it would be news.

The amount of information we have at this point about the 5G iPods is about the same amount of information we have about the PM G6's. Of course they are both coming (admittedly the 5G iPod much before the PM G6), but we dont' know much else, so that is not news worth of front-page status! That is all I was saying.

11. gco212 macrumors 6502

What do they mean to match the form factor of the mac mini? The mini is pretty much white, isn't it? Doesn't really sound like big upgrades. An extra GB for the iPod mini, a color change for the iPod (it's always getting bigger, I didn't need someone to tell me that), and small jumps for the Powerbooks. I liked that they were raising the speed on the HD though.

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

It is silver around the side.

looky linky

13. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Maybe page 2?

14. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I hope the aluminum thing is true. I have an eMac that matches my iPod nicely. I plan on getting a PB for college, which will match the new 5G iPod nicely. :)

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It would keep with the look of the Mac mini. And may be the reason that the rumored built-in iPod dock on the Mac mini was held back.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It should look like the mini, only slightly larger. The mini as it is right now, is the best looking mp3 player on the market.

17. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Well, naysayers. Looks like this thread did just make the front page. ;)

18. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

As I believe I was the "naysayer" I must say that I am surprised. However, I stand by my initial belief that the 5G iPod information by itself is not worthy of page 1 status and maybe not even page 2. Sure, it may be able to piggyback onto more specific information about Powerbook updates and even the iPod mini rumor since it has a relatively specific timeframe for the update to 5 GB drive.

But, the initial reason for this thread was the 5G iPod and the only reference to it in the new front page rumor is "mid 2005 at the earliest" (which roughly translated is "we have no idea and are totally guessing"; we have a more specific ship date for Tiger) and "may move away from the white form factor." Again, hardly a strong statement.

OTOH, we are in a post-MWSF rumor drought, so we have to take what we can get.

19. greenleaf macrumors member

ill definetly be buying an 80gb 5G as soon as they are released :D

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Well, my music library finally outgrew my 20GB iPod. Ever since I discovered the joys of audiobooks, my library has grown exponentialistically. Looking eagerly at a possible 80GB 5G iPod, although most likely I'll go for 40GB or 60GB.