NEW 700 mhz IBOOKS!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kishba, May 20, 2002.

1. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

Woo Hoo!! Apple intro'd new iBooks today!

Of note: 16mb radeon graphics card

Pretty cool to wake up to new products...

[update 6:38 a.m.] It doesn't look like the store has been updated to show the new ibooks....yet :)

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I was certainly not expecting that today :) although I knew it was coming sometime soon :)

Ensign

3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Cool!!! I was not expecting this today as well!!!

4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Saw it 15 mins ago...

...and I must say cool. Take a look at the specs. The prosessors now have 512k L2 cache (wasn't it 256k last time?). Also ATI Radeon Mobility card is quite welcome!!! :)

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I saw it and came to MacRumors to post it but some body had already posted it :(

Ensign

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

that kinda cool
    I was not expecting them till next month
    and do tey ship with OS 10.1.5.....like the Xserve did

7. widget macrumors newbie

And I thought that they were coming tommorow!

Looks like thye've kept on the 14-inch option - must be selling weel then, even thought its no where near as cute as it's twelve inch counterpart.

And they did upgrade the graphics card! Good going guys... just where is the G4?!?!? ;)

Play it cool

:cool:

8. widget macrumors newbie

Of quick note... the new iBooks come with another game, 'Deimos Rising' ...looks like Otto Matic wasn't wuite enough to keep the kids entertained.

Play it cool

:cool:

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

more level 2 cache is good for graphics like photoshop and scientific calcs

and the 16 mb video card is good for gaming

so why would any medium level user need a tibook now?

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hat...

The same old reason man.

"The G3 isn't fast enough"

And we all know that 85 percent of the people that say this dont even do heavy video/graphics.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Hat...

like I said before...if I weren't sold on the extra screen space...and Alti-Vec....I'd take a new iBook...

now if it were to see 800....900....or even 1Ghz....I'd most likely pawn off my TiBook for one...he he he :D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Deimos Rising is a great little game from AmbrosiaSW that should appeal to all the arcade game players out there. Its a top down scroller, you shoot things up as the appear on the screen. Truly a classic 80's type arcade style, for a different type of gamer than someone interested in Otto Matic. I just wish these had come on my TiPB!:(

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

iBook...

Eye- Well, for you, I guess the TiBook may be better. It has a nicer screen, and a G4. I know you do work with images and photoshop, so I think you are ok.

But when the iBook saddles up to 800 and 900 MHZ, and maybe a nicer screen, than we will start to see a change....

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Hat...

but you are not a medium level user if you do heavy video and graphics...you are one of the cutting edge computer users...which i hope to be someday...once i learn the hard stuff like adobe and macromedia products;)

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Me?

I consider myself a Mid/High class user. I use photoshop every now and then. I am learning FCP, but I do play big games. I think it they boosted the iBook to 800/900MHz, threw in a 32MB Graphics card, and maybe had all 14in screens, i would buy one!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: iBook...

I hear that...

the xtra video would be nice...I don't really need it since I don't do any gaming nor any 3d renderings...but sometimes the redraws on Photoshop & in vector apps like Freehand are a bit slow...I guess that's where the G4 & RAM can come into play...doesn't make up for the lack...but it's good enough for me...

I am holding on to my machine for a while though...there's nothing wrong with it and I have yet to run into walls with it's limits...

but if we see a 900 Mhz iBook w/14" screen...I may be thinking otherwise... ;)

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: iBook...

ditto that, although i do like to play UT from time to time. I've recently upgraded the ram to 768Mb, and have noticed a fairly sizeable performance increase. This should be able to keep me happy for at least another 9 months i should imagine.