New 80GB iPod/iTunes problems!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wPod, Sep 25, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

So, I've been holding out on purchasing a new iPod because my music collection is about 60GB and wouldnt fit on an iPod. I was really hopeing for a wide screen 'true video iPod' but oh well. The 5.5 gen 80GB iPod seems pretty cool.

anyway. . . the problem is this: i have 3 different sets of music.
    1)20 gb on my PB (which i sync with my 20GB iPod) dont have any extra room on my PB or my iPod for more music

2)35 GB on my mac mini (the music actually resides on an external hd). (joined a music club and when i buy 3 or 4 CDs at a time they end up costing less than $8 per CD, thats including shipping and all the other random charges they have!)

3) 5GB of music i dont really listen to on a regular basis. mostly have around for parties at my apt. this resides on a different external hd which i only hook up when i need to.

so, i want all of this music in one location so i can sync it with my new 80GB iPod! i coppied everything to the external hd of the mini and imported it into iTunes (which took a while) then i pluged in the iPod told it to sync and went to sleep (cause i knew getting it all on the iPod would take a while!!) when i woke up this morning iTunes and frozen and nothing got transfered. so i restarted and tried again. same thing happened, as soon as the iPod started to sync iTunes froze. after trying this a couple of times i noticed that iTunes had lost the original 35GB of music! its still on the hd but iTunes just thinks its not there! not to mention a lot of the album art is missing as well. so im not sure what to do now. iTunes doesnt seem to like importing 20GB of music at a time! and its not like im going to sit there and re-rip all my CDs again!!!!!!!!!!!! any ideas on how to get one big happy iTunes library that my iPod will sync to?

thanks!!!

2. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

waa. . . wa. .. . . . wa. .

apparently this was way to wordy and no cared to read it all, sorry!

anyway i fixed the problem. i deleted the whole library. then turned on the automatic organization in iTunes. then let iTunes duplicate everything as it imported. iTunes liked that. and once iTunes was happy, syncing my iPod seemed to work well.

the only thing missing is some album art here and there. so with 1778 albums, it might take me a while to get all the album art! (the get album art function in iTunes is cool, but only works well if you only have one album selected at a time!)