New 80GB iPod - to buy or not to buy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielbriggs, Sep 14, 2006.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Hi All!

Just need a bit of advice on buying a new ipod and merom etc.

OK, DEFO, buying a 17" MBP Merom ASAP.

Then, I saw the new iPods, and i've been looking at one for a while, but never got round to getting one etc. +i'm more tempted with the better specs as of yesterday. I also have a promo code for £23 off. I'd like to buy edu. but the price is the same. So this would be the only time I would use the code (expires 30th Sept)

So my options are:

1. Get MBP Merom, get the "old" ipod (30 or 60) and mail in rebate for £100 off. No vouch used (as it doesn't work in the edu store) give the voucher to some happy chap on these forums.

2. Get a MBP Merom, buy a new iPod using the voucher, i'm tempted to go for the 80GB, so i'm looking at ~£236 but I have to buy b4 the 30th sept.

3. Get a MBP Merom, forget the iPod and give away the voucher to some happy chappy! (and possibly wait for these "fullscreen" thingys)

I CAN afford the iPod (80GB + voucher) but I should really keep the money in my savings account for a car for early next year, but I can replace it if I work hard!

I don't actually have a propper MP3 at current as i sold my Archos Gmini 400 video, and just use my XDA mini S for listening to tunes now and then etc. but it's a real faff to convert and transfer etc.

Also are videos any good on the iPods? i.e. content, battery life, size for movies etc. Do I use quicktime to convert?

Well??
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. LionsKiss macrumors member

Zune by MS seems good. Should at least offer more vid support and higher res, not too sure if it will work with movies from iTunes but should from amazon. Oh well, I rip all my movies.

I was not too impressed by 5G iPod videos.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

how are you going to do that?? :confused:

4. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Zune sounds nice, but as i'm running Mac and Windows together, and my Laptop Mac will "replace" my desktop PC I want all my stuff on the mac, and compatabitlity and intergration might not be as good as the iPod.

Anyone else have any views on the 3 options?

Dan :)

5. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Why, when it comes out of course!!!
    I will have ordered it within 10 mins of release!!!! :)

Merom...Merom...Merom!!! :p

6. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

Old ipod or wait for video

don't waste your money on this petty upgrade!:mad:

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

what about a refurbished 60GB 5G? i don't know about in the UK, but in the US the 60GB is only $230.. that's $120 off the 80GB's price. considering i've heard nothing but good things about apple refurbished products, might be something to think about...

8. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's OK.

Not too fond of the "speaker - tweeter" like scroll thing in the middle.

Not bad, I guess, just could do with a higher HDD capacity etc.

Thanks.. I think I will go for an iPod, does anyone know much about this "new widescreen" one that is out soon?

Dan :)