New Ad campaign by Microsoft..."Start Something"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lander, Apr 18, 2005.

1. lander macrumors newbie

2. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm still "Can't Get No Satisfaction" from my experiences with Windows 95.

4. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

I always thought "Where do you want to go toady?" was their best effort ;)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Kind of a slow start... don't you think... :rolleyes: :D

6. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Start Screaming
    Start Sweating
    Start Swearing :p

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It can't be any more irritating that those 'Your Potential. Our Passion' ones that they have currently. I'd love to see the average family PC being able to run a full grand piano for a child prodigy to create a symphony... - at least with Garageband installed!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How are they going to last 15 months explaining the things you can do with XP! They'll only be able to highlight a new feature, what, like every 3 months or something. ;)

9. lander thread starter macrumors newbie

ROTFL!! :D

10. Uma888 macrumors 6502

11. iGary Guest

iGary

You mean like Longhorn?

Start something and never finish it. :D

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just finished watching Resident Evil: Apocalypse and I reckon MS could get some tips on how a large corporation should treat their consumers. Locking them behind a large wall and opening fire on them seems like a much more humane option than making them:

a) use Windows,
    b) apply patches to Windows,
    c) watch ads about Windows as their patches download.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm fine with this as long as they don't license Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" as the theme song for the campaign. :)

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

15. qzak macrumors 6502

from the talkback on that article...

What Microsoft's competitors fail to realize is that this is what made MS so successful. They may laugh at advertising, but in reality, MS got its monopoly status through marketing.

Instead of laughing, we should raise up more community marketing projects like Spread Firefox.
    Posted by: Linux_Developer Posted on: 04/18/05

i read the "they may laugh at advertising" part, then read all your comments which are laughing and making fun of 'em, found it funny. MS started out just as small as Apple did, and grew to this huge company it is today, gotta admire that. and yeah, alot of has to do with marketing.

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

While that may be true, I think that it mostly had to do with their lucrative deal with IBM. Without that, I don't think that MS would have made it past the Albuquerque Altair days.

17. vieoray macrumors regular

hahaha...

my favorite quote, from this article: http://news.com.com/An+early+peek+at+Longhorn/2100-1016_3-5671586.html?tag=nl

"But while the OS bears plenty of similarities to Tiger, Allchin stressed that Microsoft has broken new ground in Longhorn. For example, document icons are no longer a hint of the type of file, but rather a small picture of the file itself. The icon for a Word document, for example, is a tiny iteration of the first page of the file. Folders, too, show glimpses of what's inside. Such images can be rather small, but they offer a visual cue that aids in the searching process, Allchin said."

WOW, ICONS!!!!! :eek: :p

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is a waste. Who are they trying to win over? :confused: Windows owns like 94% market share. Are they trying to get people to update? :confused:

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    LOL! But seriously, unless it's an awfully big icon are, is there any real point to this? Images fine - but Word documents? Are we supposed to remember the paragraph layout of different documents? It's not like you're going to be able to read the first few lines!

20. qzak macrumors 6502

and what happens when you minimize a window on your mac. isn't the icon it puts in the dock a small picture of your webpage/image/document your viewing? same thing. if your asking MS why do it, ask Apple the same thing.

21. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think it's more of a case of trying to prevent users from switching over to Macs or Linux, especially with Longhorn so far away.

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I searched on XP yesterday and those stoopid icons made me want to send a fire-axe through the screen. Their illogical approach to the user-interface just baffles me.

Long may their industry respect rot in the dark caverns of infinte misery.

And take that stoopid dog with you... :mad:

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the new icon system will only slow down Windows Explorer even more....

great campaign, i dont have tv so i guess i wont be seeing any adverts, yay!

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Microsoft BOB was the pinnacle of Microsoft's innovation. Don't be dissing them!

25. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Nah, there are lots of features to choose among, and some of them are even new in SP 2.

- The new automatic update feature now lets you restart your PC almost automatically.
    - Now even more balloons in the bottom right corner. Always handy for keeping you distracted from your work
    - Even more control panel icons and modes for showing them. Ensures there's always the need for a windows geek in the family to fix the most mundane problems.
    - Several new user services tied straight into the core of the OS. Lot's of new stuff for virus writers to play with.