New Aerial Video Shows Significant Construction Progress at Apple Campus 2

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple appears to be making significant progress on its forthcoming "Spaceship" campus in Cupertino, as an aerial video shared by YouTube user jmcminn (via Apple Spotlight/9to5Mac) shows the site now featuring constructed walls, spots for buildings, and a more defined oval shape.

Apple closed off sidewalks and built a number of privacy fences to keep the area hidden, but this latest video taken with a DJI Phantom 2 drone and GoPro camera goes above the site to show an assortment of vehicles and materials helping to build Apple's newest campus. Previous photos showed initial work on the site's walls and deep trenches for what was said to be "underground tunnels." The site was once the home of Hewlett Packard's former offices, which were vacated and demolished by Apple ahead of its initial work on its Campus 2 project.

Apple is currently at work on the first phase of its Campus 2 construction, which includes the 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building and an underground parking facility capable of holding 2,400 cars. Those structures will also be complemented by a 100,000 square foot fitness center and a 120,000 square foot auditorium, with some of the landscape being occupied by more than 4,500 trees.

The first phase of construction is expected to be completed by 2016, and will be followed by additional 600,000 square feet of buildings along with another parking structure in the second phase.

Article Link: New Aerial Video Shows Significant Construction Progress at Apple Campus 2

2. macrumors member

Looking forward to how this will turn out even more!

3. macrumors 6502a

PowerBook-G5

I'd like to see if this same guy has the balls to fly his drone over the completed campus...

4. macrumors 603

troop231

I really hope Apple is doing a professional time lapse of the project from demolition of HP's old campus until the time it's completed. I'm sure they are, as this new campus is pretty significant in Apple's history.

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Very nice video! Looks like they're moving right along with construction.

6. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Looks like a secret spaceship/government project!

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Signiificantly constructed walls are so much more useful than the other kind.

8. macrumors 601

Traverse

I haven't followed this story, are they still using the one at 1 Infinite Loop?

----------

That made me smile.

9. macrumors member

that's really cool. can't wait till it's finish :cool:

10. macrumors 65816

iZac

Not to be a party pooper (because this video is fantastic) - but what is the legality of all this? I felt it became unreasonable when he swooped in low. At what point does this become trespassing?

11. macrumors newbie

Wish Steve were around for this

Is it just me, or does everyone else wish Steve Jobs were around for all of this?

...I mean, for development of this level/ingenuity/magnitude, it just engenders that sense of simultaneous remorse & pride that you get for someone who is no longer with us but who's legacy lives on.

12. macrumors regular

thisrocks

No doubt they are, as to how much of that footage will be released to the public.. I suspect we'll get 20 second [Keynote mention] and few minute [Apple.com] hyper-cuts eventually.

13. macrumors 68000

During some of the trench flyover I feel I should be approaching a small thermal exhaust port, only a couple of meters wide...

14. macrumors 65816

iZac

Stay on Target ...

15. macrumors 68000

Apple may be preparing to deploy anti-drone technology, probably either blinding them by lasers or taking over control and crashing them on their side of the fence.

16. macrumors member

Destroyed the HP campus to make this one...Only thing i got out of this article :D

17. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Airspace is controlled by the FAA, which is also working on rules governing the use of unmanned aircraft. With all the excitement about drones, a person could fly a manned aircraft over this site at 1,000 feet and take as many photos as they want and neither Apple nor anyone else could do anything about it. The references to the supposed "privacy fences" around this construction site are equally silly. Anyone who thinks this is something special or unusual apparently haven't seen any other construction sites.

18. macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

What will Apple do in response?

Given Apple's privacy-centric philosophy, I wonder how they will respond to this 'invasion of privacy'. And the fly-overs will just increase as time goes on. :cool:

19. macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

20. macrumors newbie

http://campus2.tumblr.com/

21. macrumors 68030

Looks like the Millennium Falcon.

Wonder if the NSA are putting bugging equipment in the concrete walls so apple will never be able to get them out and I wonder if apple is scanning daily to take them out.

22. cgc
    macrumors 6502a

Except for the "secret" part since it's being done in the open :)

----------

...and now I want to buy a shotgun...

23. bmk
    macrumors regular

I don't think you're really addressing the original poster's question. Flying over at 1000ft is clearly a different legal issue altogether. Imagine if the campus was your house - do I have a right to fly a drone into your house's airspace and take pictures? I would say not, it is an invasion of the landowner's legal right to privacy within his own space. The drone clearly invades that private space.

24. macrumors 603

justperry

As if those satellites owned by governments won't spy on you. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors regular

Yeah but not like our goverment will post pictures and videos of their spying on flickr and youtube for anyone to see anytime soon.