New AIM for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tommyg117, May 14, 2006.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Is there ever going to be a new version of AIM (Aol Instant Messenger) for Mac? The version for PC is worlds ahead of the mac version in features. I know that iChat is available and similar, but I just do not like it as much, it isn't what I like. I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer because I would really like an updated AIM for my Mac. The one I'm using is 4.7 and has been around since I got my mac almost two years ago.

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

AIM for Mac should be illegal. The software is horrible both for PC and Mac. Have you tried Adium? :)

3. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Yea, I wish they would release a new one. I just switched, and i sort of miss Triton:( :eek: . They should release at least a UB of it to make it go faster and update it with that. You and I should petition AOL to make Triton for Mac:D :) . That would be soooooo kewl:p .

4. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Adium works flawless :) Much nicer then aim. Zero ads and it's UB and here now :)

You can also use icq, msn, yahoo, jabber, bonjour, .mac, gadu-gadu, google talk, lotus, novell, zephyr. I don't know what a few of them are.. but they support them with adium.

5. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Agreed. Adium is an excellent application, and supports pratically every IM system. I'd give it an A. It even has changeable icons for the dock, skins and changeable IM text formats. Give it a try!

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Don't expect anything from them. The current version of AOL is equivalent to AOL 7.0, which was released in 2000 and lacking in almost all features.

Just use iChat.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They've suggested that they're moving the new AIM libraries to Mac OS X. If that happens, there would most likely be a version of Triton for Mac. Of course, their speed in doing such a thing is questionable.

8. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

are these compatible with my buddies on AIM though? I mean, everyone that I talk to and all my friends have AIM, It would be useless for me to switch to MSN messenger or something if no one else does and I can't talk to them.

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Use Adium, its exactly what you need. Everyone on AIM can talk to you and you can talk to everyone on AIM.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

iChat is. All my buddies have AIM and I use iChat; you'd never know we were using two different applications.

11. jaeshellz macrumors member

hottttt!!!!!

wussup ya'lll, this Adium prog. is HOTTT!!! All this time, I've been using iChat thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, but ohhhh was I wrong. You could customize everything on here. Thanks for putting me on to this. I've been a Mac switcher for close to 2 years and i see i still got alot of things to learn as far as diff. programs are concerned. thanks again

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Fire, Adium, and Proteus all work with AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo! plus Fire has long supported Jabber, used by Google Chat.

What they don't do is audio or video, unless something has changed.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I use Adium, and I love it. Works flawlessley, plus, you can customize every aspect of it.

14. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Another vote for Adium. Great program. :)

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but can someone please tell me if its possible to use an MSN address through iChat?

15. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Nope, just MSN messenger does that. You can use Jabber(Gmail), AIM, and Bonjour in iChat, and that's about it. For MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ, you'll have to use Adium or Fire. Or use the respective official clients.

I also don't mean to hijack the thread but I have noticed a problem with Adium on every computer and network I have ever used it on. I can never get the Direct IM feature to work, to send picture messages. The AIM official client always works with Direct IM even if I'm behind a router, with zero configuration. Adium has consistently failed in this respect and I have to switch programs whenever I want to use Direct IM. Does anyone else have this problem? That would be my main reason to wish for a universal binary of AIM.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The direct Connect issue seems to be related to GAIM. Trillian for the PC and iChat don't suffer from this because they don't use GAIM.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

18. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

19. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I love Adium so far. I can't even believe how great it is, and I wish we had something similar for Windows when I'm at work.

20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Nope

And until it does, iChat all the way for me....

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Alright alright.

I do hear the OP's plea for an updated AIM for Mac. I use AIM still, because I like the interface, it's nice and basic and straight to the point.

I do have Adium on my TiBook, but I don't enjoy using it as much.

Is it just me, or is there no way to edit your own profile in Adium?

And whenever I change my font, my friends say it always comes up as their default system font for IMs, but it comes up as what I have set with AIM. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah...there is a multi-system chat program for Windows (Trillian) but AFAIK nothing like that for OS X. I yearn for the day, my friend. Yearn for the day.

23. elbirth macrumors 65816

This is a big problem for me as well. Adium is built on the same architecture as Gaim, which is where the direct connect problem comes in. I use it a LOT, and it's a major pain to deal with. Luckily iChat works fine with direct connect, but it's a big pain having to launch it just to send or receive a photo.

There are plenty of other problems with Adium that I encounter on a regular basis, though, that I wish they would fix, mainly with jabber. I have to use it for work. Here's just a couple:

- Luckily Adium supports it, but if I get disconnected, it will not ever let me know that I left the jabber chatroom, though I still see the window. It takes half an hour or more of realizing no one is talking before I realize I had been kicked out.
    - chat logs. when I leave a jabber chatroom and come back, all of my text in teh chatroom is gone. But wait! if I scroll up far enough, I'll see a duplicate of the chat transcript and finally see my text inline as well. I essentially end up with 2 logs; 1 with my text, 1 without.

24. elbirth macrumors 65816

Have you read this thread at all? Adium supports a ton of "systems". AIM, MSN, Jabber, etc, etc, etc.

25. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Another vote for Adium. Great program and so customizable. I converted and then got my daughter to switch. She was using AIM, Mac version, and wouldn't give it up for iChat. Then she saw my Adium and she was hooked. Go, switch to Adium and don't look back. Cheers