New Airport Extreme 3 floor condo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

This question has a few parts and I apologize for a long post but any help would be appreciated.
    Hi,
    I have a fairly complex 802.11 G network set up right now. The problem is that I live in a condo that is three floors. Our Cable Modem (Cable vision 30 megs a second down, 5 up) is on the lower floor in the media room. I have the cable modem down there connected to a Dlink gibabyte ethernet gaming router (connected to my Airport Extreme 802.11 G, wired Xbox 360, ect...Note-My router is on a desk near my HDTV and I could easily use a six foot ethernet wire to directly wire Apple TV to my router)

I have a WDS network with an airport express on the second floor of my condo that I use as a booster so that I can get internet in the bedrooms on the third floor. (I need wifi in my whole house and the single airport base does not do this). My question is, given that 802.11 N is more powerful, will it be able to provide signals to my whole home or will I have to buy two to get 802.11 N to go through three floors and all the walls?

My next question is that I often have problems connecting one Xbox 360 via wifi and one via ethernet and getting them to realize they are on the same network. Does this mean that I will have problems connecting a wired Apple TV to a Mac on wifi?

Given the price of two Airport 802.11N bases is it worth me upgrading yet or can my current network handle streaming 720P?

Thanks

2. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

Some one, anyone? I do not exactly feel like dropping $200 for one of these to find out I have to spend another $200 so that I can get it to work (considering about 96% of the time I am not on the floor where the cable modem is).

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well 1 should be able to handle it but don't quote me on it. Also the apple tv should have no problems. I have no clue why the xbox has issues...

4. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular