New Airport Extreme and (UK) ADSL Ethernet Modem Problem. Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adav, Feb 8, 2007.

1. adav macrumors member

After my previous router dying in a dramatic puff of smoke, I decided to buy the just released Airport Extreme N router and a Netgear DM111P Ethernet ADSL modem. This is to replace my previous Wireless Adsl Modem router which was basically an all in one.

The airport itself sets up great, the modem just doesn't want to join in.

The modem is plugged into the WAN port and works correctly when I plug just one computer into it. However, it will not be correctly detected with the Airport.

I have tried setting the airport to 'Connect using Ethernet' and use DHCP as i noticed the modem likes to like at 192.168.0.1
    When I press update and the page refreshes to the updated changes, the ip address and DNS servers set themselves to some random ip address usually beginning with 247. or 194. (my BT broadband outside ip address usually begin with 86.) and the internet does not work.

Edit: Forgot to add that BT broadband uses PPPoA annoyingly instead of PPPoE

Any ideas much appreciated as my brother and sister are yelling at me for not being able to fix it :( :eek:

2. adav thread starter macrumors member

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Would also like to know this, as I was considering the same setup

4. Gee macrumors 65816

I don't have a solution, but the ip address of the modem doesn't need to match that of the basestation. The modem will get an external ip beginning 86 . because we're in the UK. The basestation will give itself an internal ip address (usually 192. or 10. or something), and will then distribute ip addresses to all the computers connecting to it wirelessly (i.e. 10.0.1.1, 10.0.1.2, etc.). It's these addresses that the basestation is distributing by dhcp.

5. adav thread starter macrumors member

the stupid modem is locked to using itself as a dhcp server too, i think that is stopping the two ip addresses behaving together.

MacDonaldsd what ever you do, don't buy a Netgear DM111P. I've googled throgh a few forums a found the wan problems a rife among non-Netgear routers.
    This looks good: Link. I'll probably buy one within the next week if i can't get the netgear to work.

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I am also in the same problem, I have internet with tiscali and they gave me this stupid weak USB Speedtouch modem which sucks and at the moment I have an all in one modem d-link pre-n router but its no good. So I'm planning to get some sort of ethernet modem and Apple's Airport Extreme.

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

This is not country specific but assigned by your ISP. They have blocks that they issue. In my case it is 213.xxx.xxx.xxx .

9. FireArse macrumors 6502a

3Com ADSL routers

I've had an ADSL router from 3Com that has done its job very well for over 2 years. The wireless can be a little pain (the router is in the freezing cold porch, near the main BT socket for fastest ADSL connection) so the idea of using the AE with Pre-N would work fine!

The wizards are easy to use and are quite intuitive. As for allowing DHCP settings, i know for a fact you can get another device to to IP addressing too.

I've had it working with my old PowerMac, my bro's Intel Mini, a mates MacBook, each with azureus running. Has run with upto 15 IP addresses handed out, no probs. Rarely hangs.

Last week, I thought the ADSL modem kicked the dust, but a quick call to UKOnline (my ISP) quickly found the port within the ADSL exchange was screwed. Back online within 10 mins - all without the 3Com unit being power-cycled!

F

10. adav thread starter macrumors member

Got my previously mentioned Vigor 100 ADSL Modem and it works very well.

It was the quickest setup ever: Plug all in, go to Airport Utility, type in login details under PPPoE (the modem creates a PPPoA to PPPoE bridge allowing the router to be the sole place of WAN configuration) , update, ONLINE! - less than 3 minutes.

Only thing is, the box is a bit ugly next to the sleek Airport extreme. :apple:

I'm going to try to return the DM111P

11. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

The looks and the price is what is putting me off :rolleyes:

12. steve carter macrumors newbie

MacDonaldsd;3343988]Thanks for the advice

Shame it's now discontinued.

13. steve carter macrumors newbie

Mac-Addict;3347484

Shame that Apple and the ISPs don't mention that USB modems don't (yet) work with Intel Macs until you've parted with your cash and hit this problem. Had to get an ethernet modem for a client to replace Speedtouch supplied by Tiscali. Then had the problem of finding an ADSL wireless router, as the Belkin he had purchased himself didn't work with the modem we had bought. Most manufacturers seem to want us to throw away our existing kit and replace it with their own router/modem. Taking delivery of a Netgear WGR614 today in the hope that this will work. Had to send back two Netgear DM111Ps before we got one that worked.
    The problem - according to Apple - is that drivers aren't available for USB modems. Perhaps if everyone complains to the manufacturers enough, they'll get off their backsides and get an office junior to spend a half hour writing a driver. Seems that it's not just a Mac problem with the Speedtouch. Windoze Vista users also seem to be reporting problems.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I got one (X-Modem) at the Apple Store in London a week ago. Works great with my Extreme N-Router.

15. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

But back to the original problem. I'd recommend disabling DHCP alltogether. Just work with fixed addresses, makes troubleshooting easier, and before you know it you have a modem and a router both trying to be the DHCP server.
    Also enter the DNS values manually I'd say to make sure it works.

16. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Isn't the max download only 8mb ?

17. innesross macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem.

Having just attempted to install my new Airport Extreme base Station with a Netgear DM111P Ethernet ADSL modem. Thought all was going as the setup instructions described, and got the 'green' light from the base station.

Yet unable to connect via the base station to the internet. I have tried connecting direct to the modem, and am able to get on the internet.

Anyone know what's wrong and what the fix is, if there is one.

Any help most appreciated. Without the internet, I'm like a fish out of water.

18. adav thread starter macrumors member

i feel your pain, this was my problem exactly. Its easily solved, get rid of the netgear modem (sorry). It has severe compatibility problems. I replaced it with a Vigor 100, a business grade modem which has been better than brilliant. It looks a bit ugly compared to the ABES, although you can hid it away.

erikamsterdam, ive solved my problem by getting rid of the modem. You couldnt use a static ip due to the unique way the modem works - it relies on its own dhcp server and silly uk ISPs dont issue static ip addresses

19. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Hi,

Adav - I've also been looking at the Draytek Vigor 100 and am interested in any more opinions you may have about it now that you've used it a bit. I searched all over the net but have found no reviews (guess it is a new model) and you seem to be the only person I can find who actually has one.

If it works as described it's a useful box indeed... I'm actually planning to use it with a Linksys box running 3rd party DD-WRT firmware. But the principles are the same - it lets you use any router supporting PPPoA on a UK PPPoA ADSL line. I agree it is damn, damn ugly :) Shame about that.

If you are able to take a screenshot of the web-based administration interface (assume there is one) I'd be grateful too.

Many thanks,

Ben

20. adav thread starter macrumors member

Hello

I'm using it with BT Broadband. All you do to setup is plug WAN on the router to LAN1 on the modem, then enter details (username and password) in the router's config and that's it! It is ugly and slightly larger than you'd think, but it runs cool (mine has been running ~9 days) so you can hide it somewhere.

There isn't officially a web interface, but I've heard that you can connect a computer directly to another of the 4 LAN ports (apparently for future applications) and access via the usual 192.168.1.1. I don't really want to try to access it because it works v.well atm and i'm sure that i'd fiddle with something that looks like it could be adjusted higher, then it would stop working :D (If it ain't broken, don't fix it - something i never keep to). You don't need to access it anyway.

The only daunting thing is that it arrives in a white box with only the cables and maybe a warranty card (i forgot), no manuals. Just plug it all in and it works.

EDIT: Remeber to set the router to PPPoE (not A).

21. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

"i'm sure that i'd fiddle with something that looks like it could be adjusted higher, then it would stop working"

I hear you, that's what I always do, then after 3 days of troubleshooting I end up back where I started :)

I sent an email to Draytek with a few questions, will let you know if i hear back...

Cheers,

Ben

22. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Wow... Draytek replied on a Sunday...

"The Vigor100 does have a web interface to change parameters
    inclding VCI/VPI, but we do not sell it outside of the UK
    and it may not be compatible/suitable for other countries -
    it's only supported in the UK. All models have 4 ethernet ports but
    you can ONLY use one Ethernet port currently."

Am sure it would work in other countries just they don't want to say it.
    Weird to have 4 ports but only able to use one at a time though.....

23. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I've been using a Netgear ADSL router (with wifi switched off) connected to my Airport Extreme (gigabit) which is in bridge mode. Unfortunately since upgrading to Leopard I've had even more problems than usual with iChat.

I've just ordered the Vigor 100 in the hope that I will have fewer problems letting the AEBS do the routing/firewall.

Anyone with the Vigor 100 and AEBS had any problems or success with iChat in Leopard?