new airport extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drater, Mar 19, 2007.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Just got my new airport extreme base station today.

Quick question: how do I tell if I am running on a G network or am on an N network?

Anyone have any problems I should know about with the new Airport extreme? I've heard a few in the forums about connecting a harddrive to share wirelessly, but other than that any thing else? Have they fixed the harddrive thing....????
  2. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    you're running an N Network.
    the new airport just runs N, it's compatible with b and g but is N.

go into airport utility (via Utilities in Applications...make sure you click the new Airport Utility not the old logo one)
    wait for your airport base station to appear on the right.
    click it, then go to "Base Station" on your menubar and click "Manual set up" (it's the second one down)

this will now give you an overview of everything.
    it should be on the tab "Airport" already.
    click the 3rd mini tab along called "wireless"

under radio mode it should tell you.
    802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)

or you can pick N only, which is faster...but you need an N card in all machines on the network to be solely N.
  3. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    P.S. the only prob I have had with sharing Disks is the disk name.
    I had a forward slash in the disk name (Video/Airport)
    and it showed up as Video:Airport on the network and refused to let anyone in.
    I renamed the drive and it's worked ever since...odd.
  4. srexy macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2006
    Was the setup easy? How many discrete drives do you have in your External HDD? Are you using it a mixed windows/Mac network?

I'm curious to hear about this as it would seem to be a justification in itself to upgrade. The cost of buying any kind of NAS easily outweighs the cost of the upgrade in speed and the NAS capability of this unit.
  5. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    really easy, a few preference configurations and it was done.
    I have one in each, but I have a usb hub connecting 3 separate drives to the base station.
    I am using a Mac/Windows network and this is VERY easy, mainly because the airport base station driver disk installs the program, drivers and preferences onto windows and mac, giving you the same screens, configs and details on either machine.
    one big plus to this over my old NAS drive is that I can leave my Air-disks formatted in HFS+ (Mac) and Windows will read them fine. my NAS disk always had to formatted in FAT32...which limited my file size

I actually held off buying a new router as I liked the idea of the Air-Disk (NAS) capabilities and I was in no way disappointed.
    easily installed.
    easily configured.
    Just Works.

it's all
  6. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    You have been very fortunate. Others have had a nightmarish time setting the thing up. Mine falls over regularly, taking my network, drive and printer with it.
  7. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Very odd.
    mine lost the wireless once for some reason, worked perfectly on the wire, but vie wireless I could connect to my wireless network, but not the internet...and utility told me there were no base stations!
    a reboot sorted that though, not had a single problem since then *touch wood*