New Airport Extreme released!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by menziep, Jan 9, 2007.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm glad they updated it, but it would be nice to hit a lower price point too. $179 is a lot for an access point.

Airport Disk sounds like a very cool feature. It needs to be reliable though.
  2. Simon1966 macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    United Kingdom
    AirPort Extreme uses next-generation 802.11n wireless technology

Does this mean that Apple will issue a software update for the new macbook and macbook pro models that have the new n card already installed?
    I needed a new wireless access point so this has come at the right time and with a discount because i am a student - shame the Apple tv isn't discounted too!

3. stevento macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    actually, the site say most current macs have the n card
  4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    The old AirPort Extremes are already in the clearance section for $129. :p
  5. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2007
    the n-enabling software it says comes with the new Airport. so you gotta buy it to enable it. man that's kinda expensive just to enable something and why doesn't it use gigabit ports?
  6. fotomiami macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    is 802.11n an industry standard or will this only be compatible with certain devices?

I thought 802.11n wasn't official yet.
  7. ksolano macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2006
    does my imac intel Core Duo have the new card? or is my mac already Old?
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    And Apple left off the optical port on the new Airport which makes no sense to me. If I want AirTunes I will either have to choose to get the Airport Express or get the new Airport Extreme and the Express or get the Extreme and iTV. Other than that it looks sharp.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Too bad it hasn't have gigabit ethernet ports, but I guess Apple is saving money by combining the controller of the ethernet ports with the wireless controller. Therefore I would say: the price is much too high!
  10. uNext macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2006
    Bumed out

Why did they remove the airtunes feature?

my guess to force you to buy apple tv.

I mean how hard is it for apple to re-release the express with airtunes with wireless n? I guess they feel like O.k you want wireless music? buy 1 -2 or 3 appletvs spend 299 each time instead of the 129 price tag.

Overall the product is appealing but the price is steep.

I Can go and get a linksys wireless n for like 99 bucks at my local compusa.
    I guess you pay for the slimnes and the apple logo
  11. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Linksys will also be glad to sell you a separate print server and NAS device on top of your $99.

Actually they have a NAS enabled device, the WRT350N, which lists for (wait for it) $199. So much for Apple's priciness.

12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    They didn't. The Express has AirTunes, not the Extreme.
  13. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    so you guys think there will be a firmware up date for the older model airport to beable to use the airdisk ablity? that would be nice if it could.
  14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    I would buy it if it had gigabit - this would enable it to be the best router in either wireless or wired networks, why leave it out.

It would have been a bonus if it has airtunes.

Give me both of those features and a slight bump in price to say £120 edu then i will have it.

For now though i will stick with my current router or hope my housemate gets the urge to buy it.
  15. islandman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    I'm excited that it has 802.11n, but like others have said, it's a shame that the ports are not gigabit.
  16. thestaton macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    not to sound harsh but isn't 10/100 still really fast?

what is this disk airport disk all about?
  17. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    ADSL Modem

Why oh why can't they include an ADSL modem in this package like Belkin can or failing that an Apple modem? It looks neat and trendy but you have to buy an ugly modem to sit on top of it. Makes no sense.
  18. stephenmckeague macrumors member

Sep 5, 2006
    I totally agree! :mad:
  19. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    I was considering this thing, until I found out it doesn't have GBit Ethernet. 100BaseT is fairly useless for network storage.

Oh well.
  20. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    Depends on what you want to do.

If all you need is web/email access, the 10BaseT is fine. Typical cable modems top out at 5-6Mb/sec, so 10BaseT isn't the limiting factor. Same thing with 100BaseT.

BUT, if you want to share storage and stream files, then 10/100BaseT is too slow. The choice of using 10/100 is especially odd given that all modern Macs have 1000BaseT built in.
  21. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    What if the customer is a cable subscriber instead?

"Oh why can't they include an ADSL cum cable modem in this package"

I prefer it the way it is.
  22. Letters macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2005
    If I attach an external hard drive to the airport, will I be able to edit and share my iTunes library across my network from any computer.

not just listen to songs, but edit, delete etc.
  23. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Well, because of this it won't sell well in the UK 'cos most lines are ADSL. I wanted an AirPort Extreme, but when I learned that I'd have to get an extra modem, I just got a Linksys instead.
  24. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    multiple airport HDD's is the selling point to me. Bung a couple of USB2 HDD's in there and all my macs in my house can access them.

Store all my itunes on them and I can access my tracks regardless of what computer or laptop I'm on.

Not bothered about N, as all our macs are G, but its nice for future reference I guess.

I've already ordered one. Shipping is showing as 28th Feburary 2007 / Delivery on 2nd/4th March