Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
My friend has his My Book Premium 320GB set up over his network with his new AirPort Extreme base station. The problem is the drive in the My Book spins continually, which doesn't sit well with him. Shouldn't the drive only spin when it's writing?

Is there a setting he can tweak for this? Or is this just a common problem?

Thanks

oh yeah, he called Apple with no help.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think it might be common.

My USB drive plugged into the Extreme spins the entire time anyone has it mounted. If everyone's computer is sleeping, the USB drive will eventually spin down... at least until someone's computer wakes up again.

Kinda sucks, IMO. I hope it's something that gets fixed on a future update.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
It is suppose to spin all the time. It kinda sucks if you have a drive that loud. But it does this so the drive is ready all the time.

The Stig

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
My external enclosure (did not come with drive) i bought spins down after an idle time of a few minutes. Spins back up when i access the drive. however, it only does that while connected to USB 2.0, but not when connected by FireWire.

Unmounting it under USB also shuts down the drive, but the enclosure is still powered on. Under firewire, the drive remains on, mounted or not.

You can see if the "put to hard drives to sleep when possible" is checked under energy savings. That might be affecting it too.

Read the owners manual. Im' sure there's something about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.