New Alien Vs. Predator Movie next year...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kiwi_the_iwik, Oct 30, 2003.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

About feckin' time, too...

I was just perusing the Quicktime Movie trailer list, and found AvP - pretty impressive stuff. There's even a mini featurette with the director/writer, who gives a brief outline of the story.

If I remember rightly, Orion produced an AvP movie years ago - but when they went out of business, the auditors decided against releasing the movie, and since locked it in a vault somewhere.

When Atari released its Jaguar games platform, it's flagship title was Alien Vs. Predator - supposedly to be a tie-in with the movie. After the movie was shelved, Atari lost its big crowd puller, and thus the platform died an ugly death - a shame, really, since it was the better of the 64bit platforms between it and Nintendo at the time (it just had LOUSY games, because companies were so non-commital. Sound familiar?!?).

I'm actually glad the old movie never saw the light of day - since technology has moved along so much, the effects in this movie will be completely STUNNING!

:cool:

2. iGav macrumors G3

Predator will kick its Alien ar$e!!

Can't wait to see it though.... also looking forward to seeing Alien, Directors Cut at the IMAX hopefully... also hoping they'll have tidied up some of the dodge special effects in a couple of the scenes.

3. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Ahh - IMAX - I forgot about that...

Alien (DC) will be phenomenal. They've finally included the scene where Ripley finds Dallas, plastered against a wall in the ventilation tubes, impregnated with another alien. How this happens, I have no idea - as the Alien in question isn't a Queen, but a "worker" - unless it has the ability to have offspring itself...

Never mind - take a date, and she'll be scared witless!!!

:D

4. iGav macrumors G3

excellent... I'm going with my ex-housemate to see it... she loves the whole Alien series of films....

I've only ever seen it a couple of times, so I can't really remember it, so it should be really cool... :D

5. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I was wondering why it was so cheap to buy on DVD - I got it for £4 a few months ago...

The most horrific movie I have ever seen - I saw it when I was 9 (and when I was into Star Wars, etc.). Little did I know it involved monsters busting out of peoples' guts, etc...

My sadistic older brother took me to see it - I was surprised I even got into the cinema (it was rated R16!) - but being in the early afternoon, maybe the ticket office didn't even notice me.

Still, it was enough for me to get nightmares for a long time afterwards - and didn't do much to combat my fear of spiders very much.

So - if you want a REAL scare - play Alien Vs. Predator 2 on the computer in the middle of the night - with all the lights off, and nothing but the sound of your pulse rifle firing, the screams of injured and dying aliens, eggs opening next to you, and dozens of facehuggers running about all around you in the dark coming from your SoundSticks...

Ewww - gives me chills just thinking about it...

:(

6. iGav macrumors G3

The game that really gives me the creeps, is Alone In The Dark: A New Nightmare, whoa... goosepimples! especially when played in the middle of the night, with the lights off and a storm lashing at the window!! heheh!

As for Alien, the last time I saw it was a couple of years ago, and before that it would have been late 80's maybe early 90's.... and I really can only remember bits and bobs from it, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it on IMAX.

Looks like November 22 is going to be a busy day.... first thing hopefully see's you at an Aussie bar to watch the rugby live (well only if Englands in it!! heheh), then MacExpo/Geekfest London 2 and then Alien that evening.... :D

Wicked!!

Mr WinterMute are you coming out to play early if it's a England/All Blacks final??

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/large.html

I can't wait!!!! Totally friggin awesome.....

But damn, August - 04.

It seems that the Aliens have to lose, they just seem more evil. So I'm wondering what sort of twists in the plot will be used. And will humans and the Predator team up to take out the aliens?

Very cool stuff.

D

8. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Hmm - I remember reading an old script of Alien Vs. Predator a while ago - an excellent storyline, but it was set in the future (Weyland/Youtani).

I think this movie is set in more present times - therefore, the old script (although a good yarn) isn't for this movie. Bummer.

Perhaps it was for the Orion release?!?

:confused:

The Aliens HAVE to lose. At least the Predators have a "Code Of Honour", and actually LEAVE at the end. The Aliens, on the other hand, are nothing but all-consuming parasitic bugs...

:cool:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

They better not make this into another Freddy vs Jason. Anyway, I'm pretty pumped, but I will be on my mission for my church when it comes out. :(

P-Worm

11. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well, upon reflection (especially after watching the mini featurette on the web with the writer/director, and reading the synopsis in the link that Mr. Anderson so kindly included), this movie is definitely destined to suck majorly.

The Orion script absolutely craps all over this one - it was a work of art in comparison...

I'll try and find a link to it - I believe you might be able to get it from Carracho somewhere - but it's A MUCH BETTER READ.

How sad...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That really is a shame....and the hype will give it great 1st weekend numbers but it will go south from there.

Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky....but I'm not exactly all that optimistic myself. :(

D

13. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Isn't it funny that this started out to be such a POSITIVE post?!?

I think it's inherently in our nature to find the crappy side to any outcome.

;)

14. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I WANT it to be a great movie, but I doubt it will be. The whole storyline, to me, seems like a quick hack just to get the thing out. If it were set in the future, with space marines and all that having to battle both the Predators AND Aliens, then that'd be great, i think.

As for Alone In The Dark, there's a movie based on that coming out. Starring Christian Slater. I used to love the game, but this movie will probably blow, seeing as Uwe Boll directed it. He recently directed the craptacular movie "House Of The Dead," another of my fav. games.

Kinda off topic, but did any of you see the short film "Batman: Dead End." If not, YOU MUST WATCH IT. This man needs a job at WB making the next Batman movie. If you can't find it anywhere on the net and you wanna see it, PM, email or send me a message on iChat. I've got a smaller version, a full screen version, and a behind the scenes thing. Personally, I think it's the BEST Batman film EVER. And it's only 8 min. long. :)

enoch

15. Jagga macrumors member

Interested in that

datum I'm interested in that Batman flick you mentioned "Dead End".

Predator will never be the same without Kevin Peter Hall, man behind that mask in 1 & 2. Big Strong mother, and he was actually picking up Arnold in number 1 by the jaw unassisted!

His in another realm now, but he did contribute well also in Harry & The Henderson's movie & TV show. Man was a Giant.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: New Alien Vs. Predator Movie next year...

I still play the Atari Jaguar game and it's so eerily silent when you're walking through the prison that those Alien screeches really wake you. :D

17. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Re: New Alien Vs. Predator Movie next year...

This is the first I hear of this. Do you have a source for this information? I cannot help but be sceptical because in all the Aliens Vs Predator comics I read there was not one mention of a movie, before and after the Jaguar game release. Aint It Cool News has mentioned rumours about scripts but nothing about a movie that was shot then shelved. Perhaps this is a case of Chinese Whispers and what you are refering to never made it past the draft script stage.

As for the 2004 AVP movie, I for one cannot wait. After the last two Aliens films things can only get better for the Aliens series, even with the director of Resident Evil involved. You see, Alien 3 took away all the great things that worked in Aliens, such as the roughneck-marines, big guns, cool technologies, clever plot twists, suspense etc. As for Alien: Ressurection, the concept of a Ripley clone with alien characteristics never quite gelled together for me. It would have made a great plot for a video game but not for a film.

Paul Anderson's movies so far have been little more than average special effects stories where style rules over substance. I do not even think his style is anything special, as there was not one memorable scene in his Resident Evil adaptation. Having said that, I hope that he has learned from his past experiences and creates something special with AVP. A dumb balls-to-the-wall action movie would be the best result after the meaningless introspective trash that were Alien 3 and 4.

And the game that would follow in this movie's footsteps? So far the AVP games have provided us with more variety than the average FPS game and I have great expectations for the AVP 3 game. One thing I would love to see is voice chat and the ability for predators to record other players' voices and use those samples to confuse their human pray. How good would that be?!

18. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

sorry its a bit off-topic, but i always found it very strange in the first predator movie - when gov. schwartznegger could have killed it with a rock, but restrained himself. and predator started up a wrist-band time bomb and started laughing. it startled me to hear a human laugh emminating from it. creepy huh? i know predator began to emulate english, but the clarity of the evil laugh sounded nothing like when he carbon copied arnies "whatttt theee helll arreee youuu?" :confused:

eh. just a rant. i'm very excited to see what they have in the works though. maybe mix it up with some humans at a space station and let them be the bystanders. ala freddy vs. jason. they should also start scripting a terminator vs. robocop flick. sweet.

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah after 3 Video games... and like 20 years this is coming out...

A little late.

A little Boring.

A little too little action.

From what I am reading its gonna be like any other crappy sci-fi movie.

20. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

this type of vs. movies are a high risk anyways. did anyone actually expect a movie like this to really be a well rounded hit? yeah right... whens the last time a vs. movie was a great or good movie? this stuff is all about the flash, eye candy, entertainment, money and nostalgia. i thought resident evil was horrible contrary to the writer/reviewer view on that aintitcoolnews site (which i highly respect and enjoy).

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the aicn link that I posted was less optimistic on the outcome of this movie - which is kind of scary.....

It will be hyped and we'll probably get very tired of seeing the trailer - but in the end, even if its bad, I'll probably see it - on DVD if I don't manage to go to a matinee.

D

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im not surprised aicn had a less than optimistic response to the script. hey man its all about kicking back with my youth for me... even if the movie is butchered. too bad i can't drink any beer while in the theater. that would probably make for a better viewing.

_;)

23. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

That is it! Beer is the answer to all the bad films we will ever see.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been known to have a little nippy bottle filled with tequila. Fits nicely in a pocket - greatly enhances the movie going experience....;)

D

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i think we are on to something here.

can this be marketed? probably would be beneficial for bad movie ratings.