1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

New All-in-One Mac for Education?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 27, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AppleInsider reports that Apple is working on a new all-in-one Mac for education, to replace the phased-out eMac, and that Apple is targeting release in the "September timeframe" 2006. If so, Apple would catch only the tail end of the purchase cycle for the school year beginning this Fall, since many educational institutions, faculty, and students are already planning their next purchases.

The upcoming model is said to have a design similar to the current iMac, with a single enclosure, LCD screen, and Intel processor. It is not clear whether it will simply be a lower-end iMac or be a distinct model line. Apple's challenge will be to keep the price down, despite the switch to LCD displays, because of the competitive pressures in the education market.

The CRT-based eMac has had its share of ups and downs over the years. Introduced in April 2002, the eMac was first sold only to education customers, but Apple soon added the eMac to its consumer line by popular demand. In efforts to keep the eMac up to date, Apple gave the eMac occasional price drops and speed bumps as demand waned, and rumors of the eMac's demise have circulated since as long ago as March 2004. The eMac line received a quiet update in May 2005. In October 2005, Apple dropped the eMac from its retail line and let inventory run down in the education channel.

2. macrumors 6502

This has to have been expected for a while.

There has been a gap in the product lineup for a little while.

Here's to 15"/17" Edu-only iMacs being released along with the Mac Pros.

3. macrumors 68000

4God

I'll bet it's a core solo 17" iMac.

4. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

My thoughts exactly, but with stripped down HDD, combo drive, maybe lower graphics.

I hope they also release this onto the consumer market again. That way it could replace the Mini for low end switchers and the Mini could evolve into a true range of Media Hubs.

5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm already helping a school plan their next computer purchases, to replace the Macs in our computer lab, and the PC-vs.-Mac and price/performance debates are back in our planning committee for their annual visits.

Knowing that Apple will introduce new up-to-date Macs, if this rumor is true, will make a positive difference in promoting the Mac option. It would help if we knew the price too.

6. macrumors 65816

narco

Probably a 15" or even a 17" iMac core solo. Or maybe a mac mini on a iMac/display stand with a 6" LCD mounted on top.

Fishes,
    narco.

7. macrumors 65816

ero87

Maybe they'll bring back the form factor of the iMac G4, sticking an intel chip inside? That was a sweet design.

8. macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think it's an excellent idea. I think apple needs a mac in the mac mini price range that is a full-blown mac.

9. macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I think it will be a 17" iMac, Core Solo, Integrated graphics, 80 or 100 GB HDD. It should be released soon for this years educational market though. Very soon.

I always loved that design, but it won't happen.

10. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

That's exactly what my guess would be too. Though the idea of the G4 imac being resurrected is nice, it will never happen.

11. macrumors G4

Mord

no core solo, by that time conroe/woodcrest/merom will be out and it'll be a core2duo of the conroe kind.

12. macrumors 68000

4God

Which is why the core solo would be perfect for educational pricing. What I mean is that with the new processors out, it would make the core solo iMac very attractive to the educational sector.

13. macrumors G4

Mord

no, the core solo will not be produced then, atm all intel macs are useing expensive mobile processors, once the next gen comes out apple can start using considerably cheaper desktop cpu's in the desktop and that means a core2duo.

14. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I wonder if they'll keep the eMac name...:confused: I'm sure this system won't be too far off from the 17" intel iMac. Maybe integrated graphics and a slower CPU. I wonder how cheap they'll try and make it. If I remember correctly the eMacs started at $799 or so...it would be nice if they had a sort of Intel Mac Mini system with a built-in display. :)

15. macrumors newbie

Pre-Release Announcement?

Considering your comment, and considering how many situations like yours likely exist, and considering how relatively late in the educational buying season the release of this machine would be... it would seem to greatly behoove Apple to make an official pre-release announcement regarding this machine as soon as possible (if it is indeed coming).

Didn’t they do this with the iMac G5 (although for somewhat different reasons)?

In this case, it seems that the usual upside to "the element of surprise" would be overpowered by the upside to "planning ahead". No?

16. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been waiting for this announcement all year. I'd like to get all-in-ones w/keyboard instead of our Dell LCD plus Mini.

17. macrumors 65816

Please let it be a $799 starting point!!!

Apple needs that. They desperatly need a desktop computer that costs $799 or less.

And I'm also hoping for the iMac G4 Design.

18. macrumors G3

bigandy

my thoughts are it's not going to be a "stripped down iMac" - for the plain and simple reason that they released one of them in the G5 guise - and it didn't sell well, here in the UK anyway.

people thought "why get a worse processor and no optical drive when you can get that stuff for a few quid more?"

i think a completely different system, based around a 15" TFT (1280x1024 or, hopefully, a little more), would be good. 1.83 Core Duos, or their replacement by then, would be pretty sweet. chuck in GMA950's, 512mb RAM, and a SuperDrive, and that's perfect.

all this crap about education markets needing less spec is exactly that - i've been in contact with a good few here in britain that have shown the eMac (much as i love that indestructable hunk of plastic), and the Edu iMac G5, the door, because of their "too low" spec. - Core Duo, in some form, would be a must. GMA950s are fine in the Edu model, because they're not aimed at gaming or apple's Motion.

:rolleyes:

19. macrumors G4

daneoni

it'll definately be a 1.66 Core Duo (Yonah) (since prices of the chips would have further decreased on the release of merom) with integrated graphics,60GB HDD and combo drive on a 15" model whilst the 17" model will have a low end discrete ATI/Nvidia Card, 1.83 Ghz chip, superdrive and an 80GB HDD. It will be close to the mini in specs "for a while" till the mini (if not already upgraded) gets upgraded to a merom 1.66GHz Core 2 Duo chip

Also it'll be called an eMac because it has mac in it.

These are my theories

20. macrumors newbie

Maybe they should sell it to whoever wants it !! Why should such goodies be limited to education.

I think it will be a 15" (and if it is like iMac G4 - I will grab it on day one.)

21. macrumors 65816

ryannel2003

Well I was planning on getting something new towards the end of the year (Core Solo Mac mini most likely), but if the new eMac replacement comes out I'll get that. I'm still suprised Apple is selling the eMac though the education site; who would want to buy a G4 eMac for the same price as a Core Duo Mac mini :confused:

22. macrumors newbie

Paulius

Why can't Apple give us a low-cost MacTower? The Intel MacPros are not out yet. The current PowerMac G5 prices are ridiculous. I don't want to get an iMac because I already have a big LCD screen. I don't want a MacMini because I need better storage, expandability and graphics!

Arrrgh! Apple! Think of the average geek.

23. macrumors 68000

Josias

I guess it would be like this:
    One eMac model:
    1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo
    512 MB 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM (if not better, upgradeable to 1/2 GB)
    120 GB 3.5" HDD at 7.200 rpm. (upgradeable to 160/200 GB)
    Intel GMA/950 128 MB DDR2
    15" LCD widescreen display at 1280x800
    Buil-in iSight, microphone and stereo-speakers
    8x DVD+/-RW/DL SuperDrive
    Internal powersupply
    (actually same case and connectors as iMac, just thinner)
    Ships with ? keyboard and Mighty Mouse
    FrontRow
    Since it will be a too big compeditor for the Mini, I think it will be around 900-1000 bucks.:(

24. macrumors G4

Mord

it'll more likely use a 17" 1280x1024 glossy protected screen, GMA 965 and probably sans frontrow and isight, to save costs, and the case would be bigger and thicker than the imac more sturdy with more space for cooling ect.

25. macrumors 6502a

What about the emac made it fail? What about this computer will be different in that respect?