New Allegations of US atrocities in Iraq <sigh>

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jun 30, 2006.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

These latest allegations of US atrocities bother me especially for a number of reasons:

1. That the activities appear to have been premeditated.
    2. That a rape was involved
    3. That the body of the woman was burned (not sure if mentioned in article)
    4. That the subsequent killings appear to be an attempted cover-up of the rape/murder.
    5. That unlike some of the previous allegations/instances - this cannot be chalked up to heat-of-the-moment battlefield stress, but rather a planned criminal undertaking.

In terms of how this will be reacted to by Iraqis and Muslims at large, the fact that (a) a Muslim woman was raped (and killed) , and (b) that her body was burned, will incite a particular frenzy among the populace.

So what is the deal here? Has increased media exposure just brought to light actions that have always been there? Have recruitment policies (scraping the barrel) brought a criminal element into the US military that is unique?

Creepy and saddening.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063000495.html

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[Bush] Every time someone the media writes about soldiers raping and killing civilians, it aids the terrorists and makes our job that much harder to do. [/Bush]

(I swear to God, if Bush doesn't use this as an excuse, I half-expect somebody like Hannity or Coulter to do it.)

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was just thinking the same thing. It would be far better to actually deal with the problem and at least create the illusion that they're trying to stop such things than to attempt to bury it. Which almost seems like a defense of those responsible. Which is just going to further piss everyone off, which is just going to create more problems, which is just going to leave room for more things like this to happen.

Vicious cycle isn't it.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Details Emerge About Alleged Rape/Killing

And they aren't pretty...

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The NYT claims:

One has to wonder why this "personality disorder" didn't come to light earlier. Depending upon what it is, it could have been caused by simply being a soldier in Iraq, or, it could also have been caused by poor screening or even allowing mentally unfit men and women to sign up. Given the pressure on recruiters, I wouldn't doubt that his disorder was given short shrift.