New and (not) improved

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Aug 22, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I read the first page, but I don't have the patience to read through all four pages... Still, I thought that this was already common knowledge; ie newer is not always better. Especially w/ vinyls versus CDs. Decent article though, thanks for the link!

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Over the years, each time we've replaced our VCR both the price and quality have gone down. They are now a dime a dozen but nowhere near the quality they used to be. Luckily, we don't rely on the VCR as much anymore.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The old top-load VCRs from 20 years ago were built like tanks. You couldn't damage then if you tried. But of course, they cost like $1000 back then. Today, Super VHS VCRs sell for under $80, so there is a trade-off. Most are built in Singapore or China by the lowest bidders.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Umm off topic, but what happened to everyones avatars on this thread?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Whatever do you mean?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Now this is something I take issue with. There's no way I would go back to limited dynamic range, poorly separated, clicking, popping, warping, rumbling, wowing and fluttering vinyl, especially the fidelity on the nearest tracks to the centre of the record.

How can a digitally recorded master tape sound better on vinyl as opposed to a CD? After cutting, how many pressing stages does a recording go through to get to the record that you place on that turntable?

Unless you have some Linn-like or better turntable and a mint pressing done direct-to-disc, I can't see (or hear) how they're remotely comparable.

I replaced many of my earlier vinyl favourites with CDs and in each case, they sound transparently better. You can hear stuff going on in there that you would never hear on the vinyl version in a thousand years.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what did all the contributors and god/godess do to their tars ....again....

10. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

That's the part I've always wondered at. Where this basis for better sound from vinyl comes from. I'm aware that CD's have limits in their audio range, and can only store so much. However as far as I've found the 'warmth' that people relate to on vinyl is just a collection of artefacts of the pressing process, individualities of their player, and wear on the record/stylus. A CD just sounds too clean to them as it picks up none of these artefacts. If there was something particular odd when it was recorded, that is going to be on the CD too.

MP3s, well it does become more noticable. However, listening to the radio is a happy pastime for many of us, so it isn't all about the bitrate :)

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I could never get the whole "CD's are inferior" argument. To me, even a pristine Japanese pressing of Dark Side pales in comparison to my CD copy. I hear things on CD that I never heard on vinyl, except for hiss and pop.
    What I miss about vinyl is that you had to be stationary and in your home, so you always had the built-in opportunity to look at lyrics and liner notes on those beautiful fold-out sleeves. Heck, I hardly bother to learn the track titles anymore. All I know is track 4 is always one of the best tracks on any CD.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps it was promoted by people with big vinyl collections so they wouldn't feel bad or out of date about their big investment.

BTW, SamIchi may be on to something. Posting in this thread seems to do something to your avatar!

13. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I have listened to some CD & iTunes music recently could hear some of the crackles from the old vinyl days. Brings back memories.

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

coughwindowsvistacough :D:eek:
    umm...it's hard for me to think of new-but-not-improved things, 'cept for cars lol like the new jetta/passat and such.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Camcorders come to mind. It seems that with every new generation that comes out, they're cheaper but also have fewer features. Mic-in, headphone jacks, hot shoes, optical zoom, battery life, etc. Especially when they decide it's a good idea to have bottom loading tapes. Newer often does not equal better.

Or one of my pet peeves, the new TVTome.com. Or should I say, TV.com. Must CNet ruin everything?