New apartment = new Macs, TVs, home theater questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FrenchPB, Aug 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2005
    Hey all,

I'll soon move from my small student apartment to a brand new 3-bedrooms apartment. Very excited about the move, but I need help to plan my dream computer and home theater set up in the new place.

Right now, I only have a late 2011 27" iMac connected to a 32-inch TV in the main room of the apartment... the desk is in the living room, so I can do it all on my iMac then watch TV shows and sports on the big screen TV (source = iMac).

In the new place, I'll have a 55-inch TV in the living room, a 32-inch TV in the master bedroom, and a 26-inch TV in the kitchen. The 27-inch iMac will be in a secondary bedroom / office room. Every TV and computer will be linked to the network.

So here's the main question : what would be the best way to access and control all my media on the different TV ? I mostly watch large HD sports video files downloaded on the internet, TV shows and some movies stored on an external harddrive.

There are many possibilities, I really would like to hear your advices to select what to buy :

- could I just buy a big external harddrive, plug it to my router, put m video files on it and access video files directly on the TVs (I need to buy new TVs, I don't know if the new models can decode large HD files) ?

- should I get a Mac Mini in the living room for a powerful Home Theater experience, to watch 1080p videos with DTS sound ?

- would Apple TVs in the master bedrooms and kitchen add something that current smart TVs do not have ?

Basically, I think my current iMac won't be enough to do all the things I'd like. I probably need to buy a Mac Mini or a MBA, as well as Apple TVs and maybe an iPad mini to control everything.

Could you guys help me out find the right combo ?