[NEW APP] Film Theater - Feedback Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grabberslasher, Feb 8, 2007.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Hi there,

Film Theater is a new app I am in the process of coding that just takes your ~/Movies folder and displays all the movies/folders in it and gives you simple playback controls and allows fullscreen playback. Also works with Apple Remote.

I'm putting it out there just to get some feedback on what I should add/change, please post here with suggestions - I'd be very grateful. I'm a student so don't be expecting too much in the way of advanced features! I designed this because I hate playing movies in iTunes - I recommend Perian and Flip4Mac WMV for optimal movie experience :)

Icon is not yet done. If anyone is willing to offer their services I would be more than happy to accept :D I have ideas for icons but can't as of yet acheive them in Photoshop

Attached Files:

2. tomhut macrumors member

tomhut

3. autoy macrumors newbie

Wow, looks really good. Congrats! I really hate iTunes can't catalog my movies in other formats than MPEG4.
    It would really much more useful if it supported subtitles, as Quicktime does not and I currently use MovieTime (great player too) for that. It would be great also if it could fetch info and art from IMDB, so that could be used for art browsing, a bit like Frontrow online trailers or the ?TV browsers. This info could also be used to generate DVD covers as well. You can do really great stuff just fetching info from the internet.

A 'watched folder' behaviour and Apple remote sound great :)

Cheers.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I like it. Are you using the quicktime engine to drive this?
    Also try to integrate movies from the itunes library.

5. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it uses Quicktime. Re iTunes - they're in the Movies folder in the iTunes Library folder, so I could add that. You could also symlink it.

6. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Looks nifty!!

Please find a way to hack the Apple TV so it can playback DivX etc. too as well, since I would really like one, but the fact that it can only play back two formats is just lame :)

Wonders if that can really be done :)

7. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

That looks really good! How about allowing to add folders, even playlists for syncing movies to iPod (if possible)?

[​IMG]

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Nice app!! So please don't take offense.:)

Leopard will have Quicklook that does the same thing with any file.

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

10. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I'm going to keep the code proprietary for the time being. I've invested a lot of effort into this and I don't want to just give it away like that. The app is going to remain free though.

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I can understand. Hope to see good stuff coming from this. Good Luck.

12. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Quicklook is nothing like this, I know, i've used Leopard :)

13. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Hi. Nice looking app, at first glance.

I'm still looking for my killer playback app. Things I'm looking for:

QT-like GUI, with (at least the option of) VLC engine. Even with Perian, Flip4Mac, and various other codecs installed, I still have trouble with some files in QT.
    Large seek bar, for more accurate scrubbing of long movies (looks like you're already there on that one)
    Lots of keyboard shortcuts
    Playlists
    Nested Folders
    Fullscreen option, with OSD
    Frame-by-frame advance option
    Playback speed control

Quicktime, VLC, MPlayer, Cellulo, Niceplayer, Democracy Player, Xine, all have their plus points, but none of them are quite *the one* for me. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

The Void
    Burning up

14. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I LIKE it! I think the suggestions of others would be nice to see, but serves its purpose as-is. My only suggestion? Playtime in the bar would be nice to see, time elapsed on one side and time remaining on the other. Thanks for the app, though; I'm enjoying it!

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

seems pretty good..

one thing i couldn't get to work was the time seek bar doesn't show time elapsed/remaining - is this supposed to be like that?

well done, and keep us posted on its further development/enhancements :)

16. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

If you want i can help you integrate the Apple Remote into it, im working on a framework that should make it a few clicks to get working ;)

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

it already works with apple remote - see OP's first post :D

18. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's a little sneak peak of what I'm adding next. I'm hoping to do to movies what iTunes does to music. Maybe if things work out right I might be able to add DVD backups to h264 using a modified version of handbrake or something.

No new download yet, just the pic.

Attached Files:

• dvd.jpg
      dvd.jpg
      File size:
      112.3 KB
      Views:
  19. rspeaker macrumors 6502

DVD backups would be great! Keep us updated about this....

20. Yuvi macrumors member

What kinds of files are you having problems with with Perian installed? Part of the reason that VLC can play so many files is because users told the developers what couldn't play and gave sample files... there's only so many videos that the developers can view themselves.

It looks like Film Theater already has this, just make sure to put the focus on the movie window. Of course, having left/right step frame-by-frame no matter the focus would be good. Also, last I checked the official word from the VLC devs about frame-by-frame stepping is that it would require a major re-architecture of VLC's core.

Keep in mind that Handbrake is GPL, so you'd have to release your modifications to it, and if you use its code in your application, the source to your application as well.

21. aspro macrumors 6502

This program looks very promising, if you can add the DVD backup feature and make it the 'iTunes for movies' I would be especially happy.

22. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but couldn't i just as easily create a seperate executable in my bundle or a "handbrake framework" which is itself GPL and open source, but have my application link to it as a library or a background daemon?

23. Yuvi macrumors member

Linking to a handbrake framework wouldn't work, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL
    You'd have to go the separate executable route; that's the only way to use GPL stuff in a closed-source app without getting exceptions from all the copyright holders of the code used (quite a few with handbrake.)

24. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info Yuvi!

Quick update: DVD support is nearly finished, everything seems to be working fine right now and I'm just fixing last minute aspect ratio issues etc. Apple Remote support is fully working for DVDs, i.e. if you're on a DVD menu you can use the remote to navigate the buttons, otherwise they work as normal playback controls.

I have to prioritize things for completion, so maybe if you'd reply here with what you'd like to see most out of the following (or add your own ideas):

• HUD/On Screen Controls for fullscreen
    • Collapsible nestled folder view
    • Time elapsed/remaining visible
    • Frame stepping control?
    • Playlists
    • Playback speed control
    • Folder content updating?
    • Drag movies into library?
    • More information/metadata about tracks?
    • Show what is "Now playing"
    • Protected MP4 (iTunes Store) support?
    • Smart playlists?
    • Fullscreen navigation mode (a la Front Row maybe)?
    • Movie streaming over Bonjour
    • DVD Ripping (we'll see, I don't want to open a legal pandora's box)

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's a great ad