New Apple Cinemas on Horizon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by esaleris, Mar 7, 2006.

1. esaleris macrumors 6502

I am currently contemplating the purchase of an Apple Cinema 20" display.

I had heard a couple of months ago rumblings of a revision of these displays. They never materialized, but I was wondering if anybody had heard Apple talking about this. Or if they are overdue for another design, etc.

When did they first come out? Have their been revisions? Did they get rolled out with the PowerMacs, because that would be a good indication of the next redesign, if so.

Thanks for your help.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

i would hang on for a few months

rumours are abound that new universal binary versions of the pro apps will be released in april/may and perhaps, announcements for powermacs in the summer. the last time they announced the g5s, they co-announced the new displays.

that said, i'm not sure how they can improve the 20"s. i bought mine when they were wickedly expensive and i love it to death! can't go wrong.

3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I am wondering the same thing, I am thinking about buying the 30" display..but I think I might hold off and wait for the new version whenever it will happen.

4. esaleris thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think the actual LCD would be improved much. Maybe faster response time. And the size would probably stay similar. There's really no point in a display larger than what a person can see sitting at a desk :p.

I think it will just be a question of design. It's no question that the Cinema's match the beautiful look of the PowerMacs. I would hate to have an itch later down the line if I later get a PowerMac to replace my monitor to satisfy my need for beauty. :)

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would wait until the new Power Macs are released if possible. It seems to me that new Cinema displays are often released with major changes to the Power Mac line. Even though the MR Buyer's guide says the Cinema's are mid cycle, I wouldn't be surprised to see them before this fall along with Intel Power Macs.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, for starters, the display in the 20" iMac is better than the existing 20" display, so they could upgrade that. Otherwise, possible price drops, integrated iSights... there are a few changes they could make.

I would hold off as well unless you really need one right now. Of course, if you always play the waiting game, all you'll ever end up doing is just that - waiting. ;) :cool:

7. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Just wondering, but in what way exactly is the iMac screen better than the ACD? (other than it being attached to a CoreDuo box ;))

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The iMac's 20" display is brighter and has twice the contrast ratio of the 20" cinema display.

Now you know. :cool:

9. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Interesting... just been to Apple.com. I don't remember them being so forthcoming with the specs of the iMac screens before. The difference between 17" and 20" specs is pretty large.

Now, if only they would put up the laptop screen specs...

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, it's surprising how Apple handles some of these things sometimes... ;)

Better laptop screens would definitely be nice - hopefully we'll see some improvements when the rest of the MacBook Pro line is released, along with the new iBooks.

11. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Isn't the MBP's display better than the PB's? They made a big fuss over the wuality of the PB G4 displays, so they must be good.

About the ACD's, how come it only says "HD" next to the 23" and 30"?

I know the 20" can only handle 720p, and not 1080p (it has 1680x1050, fates irony, 30 pixels, hehe), well, 720p is still HD, so how come?:confused: