New Apple Complete Business Strategy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sparkleytone, May 14, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Okay so, I just woke up and I don't feel like reading 5 pages about the servers to look for this type of information. Lets consolidate here.

This is what I would like to accomplish:

1) Those of you that seem to know (e.g alex_ant *hint*hint* REPLY!), how does this server compare from a pure hardware performance standpoint to similarly priced server solutions from other companies???

2) Those of you that seem to know again, how does this server solution compare in terms of software. One button functionality for extremely advanced command line programs. Graphical Management unlike that seen in the *NIX world. A plethora of standards support. etc.

3) What can we estimate the TOTAL package cost of Apple's solution?? Businesses know that when it comes to this stuff, the cost of a computers has basically nothing to do with the cost of the hardware. I wish we could get that thru the avg Joe's head. OS X should take away a HUGE amount of the need for command line.

4) The repercussions of this. If Apple is extremely successful with this, OS X will become a standard to be reckoned with. Many techs and admins (mostly MCSE dumbsh*ts) will finally lose their ill-deserved jobs, and a new computer renaissance may indeed begin.

Let me know what you think.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: New Apple Complete Business Strategy

I can't answer the other questions, but your last one brings up a good point. With all the certification courses in the M$ world, does Apple offer the same type of thing with their servers and software? Do they need to?

3. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if Apple continues the open-source and existing standards support model they have now, then admins will NOT necessarily need new certifications. A UNIX education would be certification, as all the GUI is what a GUI is meant to be: merely a graphical tool to make turning things off and on easier.

4. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i really don't think that this thread should die. i feel that i am addressing some important issues and i had hoped people would be compelled to offer their thoughts.

one more chance for this thread i guess......