New Apple Computers, will they use Tiger instead of Panther?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Apr 13, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm not sure how well this goes, but will Apple upgrade the machines that they have in stock to Tiger or will they stay with Panther and let you do the upgrade?

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think that all computers purchased now include a Tiger rebate form for like $10 they can upgrade...

If the computer comes when Tiger is released, but was ordered before, it will include a full Tiger install

After a while, or all machines made on or after the 29th will have Tiger and OS9 I think

3. auxplage macrumors 6502

What do you mean OS 9 - classic?

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Yeah, classic.

Just an update before: by full, I mean its like a Single User lisence - not only for that model of machine like other versions... but it is Single user...

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's already boxed, it'll have Panther.

If you BTO a machine, they transition to Tiger rather quick -- most likely as soon as they get the DVDs, which is what you can say about all the other machines being built.

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

In case anyone was wondering, Apple has stopped putting Classic on all machines. It is now on a CD and can be installed by choice. A smart move if you ask me, less confusing for new users. As for current Classic support in Tiger, I have no idea. Someone with a beta might want to confirm, they System Pref icon may not appear anymore without a classic system installed

jon