Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Oh, so I'm uncivilized since I don't wear a watch? Thanks :rolleyes:

Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
Pretty cool! I'm guessing that you'd be able to slap it on and not worry about orientation, as the gyroscopes would figure that out and show the display on the top of the wrist.

You see Samsung, THIS is innovation! Making a larger phone is not!
applexl.png

If its apple, its innovation, if its the competitor its emulation.

smh.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
It's happening. Here comes another revolution from apple.

Really? I actually had thought about this a long time ago. But I didn't patent it ( i had no plans to actually manufacture something like this in the short term since I'm too busy with my day job ).
Too bad I didn't cause I could have made some money of this now knowing Apple is having the same ideas.

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
[/COLOR]
Who's the fanboy here? The one who goes to a site dedicated to something they love? Or the one who goes to a site dedicated to something they hate and wastes their lives posting about it there?

Look in the mirror kid.

I probably have purchased and owned more apple products than you. That's what makes your statement funny.

If I hate apple why would I own their products? Or is it because I recognize good products and don't give preeminence or loyalty to any company. And call it as it is.

UnLike most people, who favor particular companies and let their personal feelings cloud their judgment.
It's happening. Here comes another revolution from apple.

Smh. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Who's the fanboy here? The one who goes to a site dedicated to something they love? Or the one who goes to a site dedicated to something they hate and wastes their lives posting about it there?

Look in the mirror kid.

You are. How is he wasting his life by posting something that shows this idea has already been thought of? Maybe you should be the one looking in the mirror.

kdarling

macrumors P6
No, the other solution is that the device knows the degree of overlap and adjusts the UI display accordingly.

That was his point... if the user's wrist is small, they won't be able to see as much unless they scroll.

This 2011 patent application looks like a designer parent found an old band and thought, aha!

Flex bracelet phones are not a new idea, of course.

2009_slap_bracelet.png

2010_philips_fluid.png

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Look in the mirror kid.

You are. How is he wasting his life by posting something that shows this idea has already been thought of? Maybe you should be the one looking in the mirror.

Ah, the cut and thrust of witty repartee ...

:rolleyes:

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Width of one inch?I want one with a width of 4 inches. Screw Apple with their "easy to strap on" marketing crap. The iWatch 5 is a hugely underwhelming update.

:rolleyes:

----------

And it does what?

Oh, it's an electronic bangle. A kitsch novelty. While it might become popular, it's a sad direction for Apple.

*Sigh*. Another person who thinks that they know what will come up on a rumoured device, and judging it purely based on what they think

bennettave

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
obvious

it seems quite obvious that if you extrapolate, the iPhone becoming thinner and longer will eventually result in a slap bracelet. duh. i'd guess we're looking at about iPhone 12.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I know the whole phrase "slap bracelet" sounds like a complete joke but this has so much potential. I'm looking forward to see what happens with the "iWatch"

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting.

I have not worn a watch in over twenty years. Granted, I would not voluntarily go to a cocktail or dinner party. ;) As for business meetings, we dress in golf shirts and jeans/slacks (business casual) where I work and I am part owner of the company.

Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too

You caught me... commando. ;)

I am 47 years old and still can't tie a tie. I win.

scho52386

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.

I agree with this completely. I would be embarrassed to go into a meeting with this (rumored) watch on. A lot of people I work/have worked with wear watches to display social status. I guess it would be okay if more than just one person was wearing it, but if someone came into one of my meetings wearing this...I would think they are cheap. I find it cheap even when someone wears an LED watch, GShock, or whatever. If Apple releases one in the $800+ range (and reasons to justify that price range), I might consider taking a look at it if I like the aesthetics of it. This is just me though, and I am pretty weird.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
How gimmicky. :confused:

Sounds like some crap I would buy at Brookstone for the holidays, then find it in the trash a 6 months later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.