New Apple keyboards/mice on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mark88, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Any rumors regarding new keyboards and mice anytime soon? I mean, the G5's are alluminium & the keyboards and mice are white. If you look at the QT VR for the G5's on the apple site, it looks to me like the keyboard and mouse have been given a silver tint to match the case of the G5 and display

http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/pmac_g5all_june2004_480.html

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I wish...

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Who cares about tinting them, let's get a 3 button mouse happening for goodness sake. Considering Apple make such great hardware I don't understand why the refuse to make a 3 button mouse.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Forget aluminum. I want a bluetooth keyboard and mouse made of solid gold. Apple needs to get off it's lazy butt and cater to the high end market. Rich folk have been forced to use second rate plastic consumer products for far too long.

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

A two button mouse would be excellent. Uni-mouse no longer works.
    I'm tired of bloody pressing twifty odd keys on the keyboard in games!
    Also, Buddha ain't a god. Sorry, had to point it out!

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I think it's because it's distinctive and makes people ooh and ahh. I think it would be nice if they kept the current design but very subtly turned it into a three button deal... with a touch thingum.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

What was that stuff a while ago on Apple securing a patent for a 'scroll wheel' mouse? That was a bit odd. I imagined a cross between an iPod
    wheel and a mouse...odd.

Apple don't need anything radically different, just something with MORE THAN ONE BUTTON! My mates always see my Mac mouse and try and click the sides? Where the top half sort of meets the bottom! They think they're bloody buttons. I just tell them no, the whole things clicks. They thinks
    it cool and then they ask about double clicking and I have to explain the
    whole keyboard clicks in games. It's annoying, but I'm still not going
    to destroy the all white appearance of my Mac with a new mouse....very silly I know.

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

meh, I like my one button Apple mouse. There's plenty of other companies out there that make a different solution. Single button keeps it simple.

I also think it's funny that Apple could easily produce a 2, 3, or 5 button mouse and sell a million of them, but they don't! :)

-Tim

9. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Even if Apple began selling a 3 button mouse, I'd still opt for my 8 button Logitech MX 500.

10. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Eight buttons. That's insane! But I'm sure useful in a very very odd way.

Before I forget, do wireless mice/keyboards have a delay? I read something and I'm not sure whether to get wired or wireless.

11. aus_dave macrumors regular

I'd just settle for a keyboard that didn't trap so much detritus and junk inside it.

I've got to stop eating biscuits at the computer :eek:.

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

If they just made it so the keys didn't have gaps between them. Just like
    a large bit of flexible plastic. So bloody simple really. Whenever I've thought of trading in my Mac for a new one, I've always had to tell the
    company "the keyboard is dirty...crumbs you know". So true. Biscuits. The only thing that would kill Skynet.

13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I don't think it would be hard / weird / confusing if a 3-button mouse were added to the lineup. People who wanted the 1-button could pick that up, and more advanced users could get the 3-button. Obviously, Apple caters to high-end users (hello, G5), so it still kinda surprises me that they don't have more "advanced" mice to offer.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm still angry that the Pro keyboards were dropped from the lineup... they felt much more less flimsy than the new ones. And the USB ports were in a smarter place... Oh well...

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Exactly. I love the "Pro" series that came with G4 iMac. The new ones are awful, the USB ports are in a very awkward positiion. Where is the adjustability? Maybe they did it to save money, but it was a mistake.

16. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

The only kind of noise I get from people is "ahaha!" I won't get any other mouse either because I too kinda like the all white. Apple log c0-ordinated thing I got happening.....

You think hell might freeze over before we see a multi button mouse from Apple?

17. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

What's weird (and correct me if im wrong here at all) is that I just picked up a "nextstation" from someone that no longer wanted it. It's my understanding these things were made by Apple back in the day. Anyway, THAT had a 2 button mouse!

18. cazlar macrumors 6502

That would have been built by Steve Jobs' company NeXT, which was later bought by Apple (and whose OS eventually became OS X). So it's not an Apple product.

19. AdamZ macrumors regular

Backlit

I would like to see a Backlit Keyboard like in the Powerbooks. Attaching a light is so unelegant. It should be wireless using Bluetooth, with batteries that are rechargeable via firewire or usb. I'm waiting.

20. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Wasn't it that NeXT bought Apple for ~ negative $400million?

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It would need to freeze over, go into an Ice Age, and then a nuclear winter. Then we will see a Page 1 rumor on a multi button mouse from Apple.

22. deral macrumors regular

deral

I really really really really like the font and the centeredness alignment of the keyboard found on iBooks and PowerBooks. I want that.

23. dfgdfg787 macrumors newbie

The mouse and keyboard in the QT-VR Movie have the same color as the display powersupply - but the poweradaptor is white.

24. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Thanks for that Mechcozmo, cracked me up! :D

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I am here to serve. And post.