New Apple MacBook on Tuesday? GMA X3100?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 28, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to sources, the wheels are in motion for Apple to deliver new MacBook updates as early as this Tuesday. While an exact date has been hard to determine, MacBook updates are expected within the next week, with evidence pointing to Tuesday.

This confirms previous rumors from ThinkSecret that Apple would introduce a new MacBook by "the first half of November". Sadly, few details on the upcoming machines are presently available.

Apple's Leopard update, however, has revealed drivers for the newer Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chip. This is the successor to the Intel GMA 950 which currently resides in the existing MacBooks. This would suggest that the next MacBook would see an upgrade to the Santa Rosa chipset. This, however, remains speculative. The driver, however, appears functional and works when used on a PC laptop with the X3100 chipset.

Article Link

2. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

really hopes this is true as I will be buying very very soon.

How reliable are these sources?, after all lots of people on here could say they are coming soon without actually knowing anything.

3. macrumors 68030

Oh my!!! :) Is the GMA x3100 acceptable to everyone then? (I really want an aluminum with smaller bezel/footprint)..... please.

4. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

oooh...this is good news

one of my best mates has been waiting for this...hope the new macbooks are just plain awesome:cool:

5. macrumors 6502

Hope its true!

My iBook's HD just failed, and I broke the power connector while trying to replace it.

So I was about to buy a new macbook tomorrow, but now I will wait. I REALLY hope it comes out this Tuesday, or else I will feel terrible purchasing it on Wednesday, and the new one coming out a week later! I might just end up waiting till it is released, though...

6. macrumors 6502a

just an upgrade to santa rosa, or do you all think it's going to be the complete case redesign many here have been talking about?

7. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

What's apple's policy with new purchases being made obsolete? Is it 8 days? 10? Anyone know definitively?

8. macrumors newbie

come on…aluminum case, aluminum case

9. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Isn't it 14,

Edit: here is a good place to look

10. macrumors 68030

I can't imagine they wouldn't have the new screens like the macbook pro - right?

Are we thinking this will just be a speed improvement? I'd think they'd wait till MacWorld to release a design change - right?

11. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

thats great. as long as they dont update the mbp anytime soon. mine has just been shipped. should arrive tomorrow :D

12. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

14 would be nice... anyone else who has actually benefitted from it wanna chime in?

13. macrumors 65816

Well, there's a 14 day return policy, but I don't think they would forego the 10% restocking fee just because something newer came out.

You might be able to argue the case though, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, how would a current MacBook become "obsolete" when a newer model comes out? I mean, seriously?

-Zadillo

14. macrumors 603

Stella

I'm interested to see how Apple prices the new MacBook in Canada.

There's not going to be that much difference between the MB and MB Pro, should the Macbook get the anticipated upgrade ( apart from a huge price difference ).

15. macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'll buy at least one, to replace my wife's three year-old iBook. I might even buy another, to replace my year-old MacBook, depending on how significant of an update it is. :D

16. macrumors 6502a

fblack

Cool, but what I really want is a Macbook with a 15 inch screen, the current crop is too small for my eyes.

17. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I think obsolete was the wrong term.

But I'm qute positive Apple has a policy that permits free exchanges if your newly purchased mac is replaced within a certain period.

18. macrumors 65816

Well, I don't know. On one hand, LED-screens so far have still been seen primarily as a premium feature (a premium option on the Dell XPSM1330, or Sony's premium SZ and TZ models).

On the other hand, Apple had said when they first announced plans to switch to LED-backlit screens that their plan was to eventually use LED-backlit screens everywhere, so it seems to be only a matter of time before Apple switches the product line over entirely.

At this point the only issue I think with the iMac and 17" MBP is just that LED-backlighting isn't available in those sizes.

But 13.3" LED backlit screens are much more common, relatively speaking (given that the 13.3" XPSM1330 and SZ are two of the most common models to offer LED backlighting), so it would be more feasible to offer them in the MacBook, and prices might have come down enough for it to be realistic to offer.

-Zadillo

19. macrumors 6502

Macbook with santa rosa and x3100

I will buy one the day they come out.

20. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My housemate got away with 15 days with his iBook - Macbook (he only had to pay the difference)

21. macrumors 65816

I'd be pretty surprised if this was an official policy in writing.

But I would agree that it is probably possible to get Apple to accept a return without a restocking fee, at least if you argued a bit about it.

-Zadillo

22. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think we may just be seeing SR update. early next year will be the new design. but thats me talking from my three month old macbook...

23. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

About time Apple. Dell, Samsung and a host of others are way ahead of you here.

24. macrumors 6502

d_saum

awesome! Well... I'd say I'd buy one as soon as they came out.. but damn you Apple.... you just had to go above and beyond today at the Genius bar didn't you. They are totally fixing everything thats wrong with my macbook... so now I can't really justify buying a new one. Bastards!!! :D

(Im going to create a new thread about what a GREAT experience I had at the Apple store today here in Charlotte... but a quick rundown.. they are replacing my top case, keyboard/palmrest/trackpad thing, giving me a new battery, and giving me a new iPhone because I scratched the glass somehow. So yeah... now I really dont have a reason to upgrade to a new Macbook)

25. macrumors regular

~David

UHG! I can't stand the pressure anymore! :eek: *begins running around in circles in anticipation*

I really don't care what's updated, I just want to be able to finally get my Macbook (Although, some nice upgrades would be nice of course).

Same, I'm hoping they match the US and CAD prices, or at least drop the CAD prices somewhat. Again, they did with Leopard.