Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Sadly, I just bought a new Sony VAIO with the 5-letter word that everyone hates on it (it starts with a V and ends with an ista) but im doing some soul-searching in hacking my computer and uploading Leopard on to it. Any thoughts?

But if I were buy a new computer today, I would be excited for the new MacBooks.:apple:

NEiMac

macrumors regular
THis is really cool. Good thing I bought my iMac and can't afford a new macbook. It would be really tempting to replace my core duo macbook with one of these. Oh well I wanna get another year out of it anyway, who know what they will have next year. :D

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Sadly, I just bought a new Sony VAIO with the 5-letter word that everyone hates on it (it starts with a V and ends with an ista) but im doing some soul-searching in hacking my computer and uploading Leopard on to it. Any thoughts?

But if I were buy a new computer today, I would be excited for the new MacBooks.:apple:

Did you at least buy a retail copy of Leopard?

-Zadillo

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
enjoy mine that i bought about 6 mos ago. if it gets updated, would be interesting for xmas...

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Weeee! I hope this is true! I knew Steve wouldn't make me wait until Nov 6th! I don't care what macbook I get anymore, I just want one ahhhH! lol

goldenlotus

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Santa Rosa (2.0GHz + 2.2GHz)
X3100 integrated graphics
HDD storage boost
new aluminum case with narrow screen bezel
multi-touch touchpad

Multi touch is definitly coming to an actual mac at some point. Might be soon now though. It seems unlikely that they'd release it on the macbook before the pro line, but I guess it's possible.

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
UHG! I can't stand the pressure anymore! :eek: *begins running around in circles in anticipation*

I really don't care what's updated, I just want to be able to finally get my Macbook (Although, some nice upgrades would be nice of course).

Same, I'm hoping they match the US and CAD prices, or at least drop the CAD prices somewhat. Again, they did with Leopard.

LOL there are so many of us! I just say this thread pop up on forum spy and i got so excited. A new macbook is the highlight of my month. Wow, that's so sad :apple:.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
For the Mac Pro folks: the underlying CPU doesn't come out until November 12, so I'd expect an announcement after that.

Also, this is good but I'm waiting for the G45/X4500 video chipset due next summer before I buy another MacBook to replace my current MacBook (Core Duo 1.83Ghz).

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
This would suggest that the next MacBook would see an upgrade to the Santa Rosa chipset.
Santa Rosa is not a chipset; it's a platform. No Apple computer to date has used the Santa Rosa platform. You should say instead that it will use the Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset, code-named Crestline.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
It'll come with the GMA X3100

The Santa Rosa platform consists of:

* Processors - Socket P
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom) second generation processor with 800 MT/s FSB, or
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in November 2007 [1] for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.
* an Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code-named Crestline) with Intel's GMA X3100 graphics technology and ICH8M southbridge, 800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization, and
o Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA), better Windows Vista Aero support. [2]
o RAM supported for DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 SO-DIMM.
o EFI-compliant firmware, a successor to BIOS.
o optional NAND flash-memory caching branded as Intel Turbo Memory (code-named Robson)
* the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code-named Kedron).
o Wireless-N technology boasts a 5X speed increase, along with a 2X greater coverage area, and supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal bands, with enough bandwidth for high definition audio and video streams. [1]

The GMA X3100 will just be disabled while another GPU is installed.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

* Processors - Socket P
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom) second generation processor with 800 MT/s FSB, or
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in November 2007 [1] for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.
* an Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code-named Crestline) with Intel's GMA X3100 graphics technology and ICH8M southbridge, 800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization, and
o optional NAND flash-memory caching branded as Intel Turbo Memory (code-named Robson)
* the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code-named Kedron).
o Wireless-N technology boasts a 5X speed increase, along with a 2X greater coverage area, and supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal bands, with enough bandwidth for high definition audio and video streams. [1]

Crestline comes in 2 variants. One with a GPU and one without. GM965 and PM965 for the mobile editions.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD

* Processors - Socket P

I'm not so sure that's correct. I'm pretty sure that Santa Rosa machines with dedicated graphics specifically do not have the integrated part. It would be kind of a waste.

The only machine I can think of like this is the Sony SZ series of laptops, which include both integrated GMAX3100 graphics and NVidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics, with a switch to switch between them.

But that is something unique to the SZ; I really don't think other Santa Rosa machines have GMAX3100 graphics present and "disabled".

If this was true, it would make sense for more machines to offer the same "hybrid" graphics concept as the SZ, as it would allow people to get the same benefit of extra battery life when they don't need the dedicated GPU.

-Zadillo

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
The MacBook is on the main Leopard page on Apples website. So you definitely will NOT see a case change until next year. I think the SR platform is possible with the onboard graphics still. And perhaps a marginal speed bump. LED backlights next year.

We can't have them better than Macbook Pro's of course. I'm sure whatever Apple releases most people on this forum will be disappointed as always.:D

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Santa Rosa is not a chipset; it's a platform. No Apple computer to date has used the Santa Rosa platform. You should say instead that it will use the Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset, code-named Crestline.

To be fair, it's not like Intel goes out of their way to make this clear.

I think when most people refer to a machine as a Santa Rosa machine, it is clear what is meant.

-Zadillo

Hane

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
Oh dear jesus

I hope this is true...I've had 1400 sitting in a bank account for a few months now awaiting the day that new macbooks are released.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
To be fair, it's not like Intel goes out of their way to make this clear.

I think when most people refer to a machine as a Santa Rosa machine, it is clear what is meant.

-Zadillo
It's not like they make an obscure reference to it either. I've been saying it since before the MacBook Pro was refreshed and I'm still saying it now. Just because a phrase or name is commonly and incorrectly used doesn't mean those who know contrary should follow suit. Santa Rosa is Intel's latest Centrino platform, plain and simple, not a chipset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.