New Apple Mouse - Hell Freezes Over

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rdowns, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apple Introduces Mighty Mouse
    PR Newswire 8:30 am August 2, 2005

Apple(R) today introduced Mighty Mouse, its next generation mouse with several innovative new features that make using a Mac(R) even more powerful and easy. Mighty Mouse offers power users up to four independently programmable buttons, without compromising simplicity for users who prefer just a single-button mouse. Mighty Mouse also introduces an ingenious Scroll Ball that lets users scroll in any direction-vertically, horizontally and even diagonally. With the Scroll Ball, users can scroll with natural, fluid movements, making Mighty Mouse perfect for applications from viewing web pages and photographs, to video editing and music creation. Mighty Mouse is priced at just $49.

"With Mighty Mouse, we've simply built a better mouse," said David Moody, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. "With its innovative Scroll Ball and unique integration of multiple buttons, Mighty Mouse adds functionality while retaining the elegant, easy-to-use Apple design."

Mighty Mouse is the first multi-button mouse that retains the simplicity of a single-button mouse, and can be used as a single- or multi-button mouse depending on the user's preference. Mighty Mouse features a single seamless enclosure with programmable touch sensors that act as primary or secondary buttons. With a simple click on the upper right or left side of the mouse, users can instantly access features such as contextual menus found in Mac OS(R) X and other applications. Mighty Mouse's two other buttons are activated by pressing its Scroll Ball and squeezing its sides, and can be easily programmed to give users one-click access to Mac OS X version 10.4.2 "Tiger" features such as Spotlight(TM), Dashboard and Expose(TM), or to launch any application such as Safari(TM) or iChat.

Mighty Mouse features an easy-to-use design that comfortably fits the left or right hand and an optical tracking engine for responsive and accurate cursor movement on almost any type of surface. With up to four programmable buttons, Mighty Mouse makes it easy to access key features of Tiger with the side buttons and Scroll Ball providing quick, one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Expose.

Pricing & Availability

Mighty Mouse is available immediately through the Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $49 (US). Mighty Mouse requires Mac OS X, Windows 2000 or Windows XP and easily connects to Mac and Windows systems; Mac OS X version 10.4.2 "Tiger" is required to customize buttons for one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Expose or to launch applications. Mighty Mouse is compatible with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Holy ****. That actually sounds very impressive, and is even well priced :eek:

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Is it bad that I really want one, even though I have NO use for it?

..it IS an Apple product, and this Kool Aid is really good...

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sounds impressive - one button for those who like that (and presumably the default setting) and two for powerusers.

EDIT: Looks impressive too!

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

7. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

Either am I. Mighty mouse my arse

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah, a google search of the headline of the thing posted here turns up nothing.
    If it were real, it'd be EVERYWHERE.

I'll ask Steve if I see him this weekend, hahaha.

EDIT
    GASP
    NEVERMIND
    It's real and I WANT ONE!!!

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This has been a very strange year... so in that sense this actually didn't come as a surprise, but still allow me to say: Holy Cr@p! :eek:

I cannot wait to see one of those. Come on Apple Store, get back up... :)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Oh it's real all right - the store is down and it's now on the Apple home page. Read it and weep.

TM

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

VERY nice... I like a lot... I might just get one of those for my iBook... :)

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From Apple's own page:

Backflip anyone? :D

14. markoibook macrumors regular

Hey looks pretty awesome if you ask me!

Just waiting for the uk site to update with price!

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd like one for my Powerbook except for the fact that I use it on my lap so don't really have a surface to use it on... :(

17. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Looks pretty cool, but I don't know how much I'd like touch sensitive instead of clickers.

edit: I actually like that it has a cable, though. I've always had trouble with wireless mice connecting to my computer. Plus, they're too heavy and the batteries need to be replaced often.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

£35 with 24 hour availability. I might pop into Regent St later this week and try it out.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Holy CRAP!!

*shivers, grabs blanket, curls up in fetal position*

Seriously, it's about time.

21. Bozola macrumors regular

22. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Wow, great. Although it only has four buttons... ;) The cable, hmmm, that's tough, but I think I'll get one nevertheless.

23. Lau Guest

That's a good price when I see that my Logitech 310 thing costs £30 from the Apple Store. Not that it cost me that much, obviously :), but a fiver isn't much for such prettiness.

24. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Make no mean comments until you touch one...if MS made it, then you can complain. But no doubt apple perfected the left right button regions on this....I would imagine blue tooth isn't far behind...and finally, a scroll wheel!

You can even program it to do application switching....how cool is that!