New Apple Mouse Please!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2ms, Dec 16, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Any signs of Apple working on a mouse that works better than the Mighty Mouse? I love the tiny scroll ball and the way the mouse looks -- it's beautiful. However, I hate everything else about the mouse. I mean, I really hate this thing.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So what don't you like? If you like the look, then you wouldn't want 2 "real" buttons as the look would change, you like the scroll ball, what else is there?

But there are not rumors about a new Apple mouse..atleast none that I know of

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

I was fine with it for a couple months but after a while u want to throw it against the wall. pivoting the entire mouse is not a good way to achieve the functionality of two buttons. Trying to click the R Top button results in getting L Top button often enough that it becomes extremely annoying over time. It makes u focus on clicking it right when uve got better things to focus on.

Additionally, the side buttons are way to hard to press. Maybe u dont use the side buttons much but some people like to use side buttons all the time, and these side buttons are terribly designed - in order to press them you have to try to grip the rest of the slippery mouse that has no edges or anything. In fact, it is almost impossible to press the R side button without pressing the L button at the same time or first or just after or wtvr because the way human hands work is that the thumb, which sits right on L side button all the time, has to oppose any pressing toward it from the other side in order for the other button to be pressed rather than the entire mouse just moving instead.

Do you literally not see any way it could be improved upon? I'm surprised.

5. Reach macrumors 6502a

Only crazy people or people that have not seen a good Logitech/Microsoft-mouse fail to see the shortcomings of the MightyMouse.

6. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I agree the mouse is nice, very Apple-design, but not perfect.

I'm too often left-clicking when I was planning to right-click - which results in double-clicking, or losing selection, or whatever else... -.
    And then you start far-right-clicking, which means reaching very far on the right and putting some useless tension in your hand in order to ensure a proper right-click.

After playing Warcraft III for one hour last week (and quite many clicking errors), I got the painful tingling in my hand and forearm for the whole night, which raises the fear of RSI. Working in a fully computerized environment at work, the subject of RSI (by extensive use of mouse etc) is a subject of real concern. If in doubt, google out for the carpean tunnel syndrome etc.

Concerning the side buttons: never used, never will. You need to change your whole grip on the mouse to use them.

I think I'll go back to my previous mouse: MacMice, The Mouse. A close design to Apple's, with two real buttons and a wheel. Update: done.
    It's a wired mouse, which I like better for photo edition. The previous BT mouse of Apple didn't satisfy me.

However, models from Logitech are really good, also in wireless.

Attached Files:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Somehow one would hope that Apple's next mouse is somewhat more aesthetically pleasing than Logitech's products.... :eek:

8. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I too, hate this mouse. I love my new 24" iMac and have forced myself to use this mouse hoping it would grow on me but it's just gotta go and my whole family agrees.

Mabey someone can recommend an alternative non Microsoft wireless mouse that runs off bluetooth so I don't have to tie up a USB port and matches the iMac somewhat. I love the snow white of all this stuff and hate to break it up. But this mouse kills my hand it's so flat and I agree with every other complaint on here with the buttons etc. I was gonna start a new thread on this but see this ones already going.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Wow. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who likes the Mighty Mouse. I have the wired and Bluetooth versions. It's my favorite mouse. It's not a great gaming mouse for first person shooters, but otherwise, it's awesome.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, really? :rolleyes: Now Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I've heard of, but I thought I would humor you and improve my knowledge of neuropathic disorders... oddly, Google knew nothing more about carpean tunnel syndrome than I do. ;)

11. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Sorry, that was my first guess as an English translation for "syndrome du tunnel carpien", in French. I didn't double-check, I thought people on the forum would get the relevant part of my point.

12. Arnaud macrumors 6502

MacMice has a BT model, but I don't know how good that is.

I'm not sure about BT for mice, my experience wasn't that great, it wasn't responsive enough. I don't mind about my keyboard, but it can be a problem with a tracking device. Logitech uses another RF mode, and you need to plug the receiver via the USB; maybe they were not satisfied with the BT capacity ?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't know they spoke French on the Moon! :eek: Sorry for being snarky. :eek: :(

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I jolly well love my BT Mighty Mouse. I don't use it for gaming however (a player of the lightning fast HL2 Deathmatch), the right/left button thing becomes to apparent then. But when I'm working on graphics or whatever I'm totally fine with it. It's become second nature now to just slightly lift up my left finger when using the right click. The scroll ball is simply *beautiful*. The side buttons could be a little less stiff on the BT one (my friends wired one is much more responsive there).
    I do have to have the mouse speed up to full in preferences too, where my Logitech V500 mouse used to be comfortable at about 30-40% speed.

Love my mighty mouse. Using 1 battery instead of 2 (was very surprised to find that out!) makes the whole thing easier to move with it's lighter weight.

Wouldn't swap it in the world. Just a shame it falls when gaming.

Might help that I hold mice in an unusual way. Instead of sticking my whole hand on it I just move it with my fingers. Developed from using my mini V500. *shrugs*

15. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I like my Mighty mouse, though it would have been cool to have gotten the wireless version...

16. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

currently using a 2 dollar logitech because my 2nd mightmouse scroll ball took a dump. i really dont know if i want to get this thing replaced again, or just get something else.

17. Quboid macrumors 6502

I saw a microsoft mouse with a ton of button and fucntions the other day (while i was mouse hunting) and i am sure it pretty annoying to use also. I never bought the mighty mouse but from the design i knew it would be a drab.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't like the mighty mouse either. I like... a mouse. I use a mouse that came with my HP 3 years ago. Corded, and non-optical. (we're talking BALLS! :cool: )

The Mighty Mouse is the only mouse I don't like. (Yes, I LOVE the "hocky puck" mouse too. :) )

19. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

side buttons for forward and backward in history for web browsing are indispensable once you get used to them -- never move the cursor up to the arrows in browser again. But you'll go insane trying to use the ones on the mighty mouse -- back to using the arrow buttons.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that my hand is covering the thing, I don't much care how it looks but I don't find most Logitech designs so bad. On the other hand, Mighty Mouse with its unusual cream colour is not pleasant and doesn't match any machines Apple make.

Add to that the fact that it's difficult to use, I'd pick Logitech or Kensington every time.

21. hink10 macrumors newbie

It's hard to believe that they can make such a great computer and fail so miserably at the mouse. I can't remember one that I liked to use. They look pretty, but that's about it.