New Apple Music store-- Missing Artists?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Apr 28, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I was kinda disappointed to find big groups like the red hot chill peppers missing... I mean I can understand small bands, groups, etc, but I think apple didn't do the best they could have...

What is missing from the store?
    What would you like to see coming?
    What didn't you think should be there.

I'd like to hear how everyone feels about this.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it isnt apple, apple makes the software, music companies say what music is offered. it will grow, dont worry. i think apple did beyond excellent on this. it is layed our perfectly, couldnt be any better. plus you can get 2 friends togehter buy an album for 3 dollars and share it, you can beat that.

iJon

3. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

well you can but they point out 'thats illegal and you don't want to be a baddd boy(girl)'

They did a nice outline. (can anyone clue me on how much is pure HTML? It seems alot is) I understand that the music companies are behind all of this, but apple can request for music from the major bands...

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha i know, speeding is illegal too but i do it. they will get my money this way or no way. im still waiting to see if learn and earn people get it free, they got .mac free

iJon

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

ninjatune fan then eh??? i'm impressed :)

so who's yer favourite on the label??? I'm a herbaliser fan, and dynamic syncopation fan too, but that's 'cause I know 'em. funki porcini is also v.good, dj vadim of course.......

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

oh, someone said that led zeppelin aren't on there, i was surprised at that. but then again, as iJon said, it's not apple, it's the music companies....i hope they're just in a big backlog of ripping all the cd's. i have visions of these people sitting at an iMac putting cd's in the drive and importing them into itunes and then clicking "share" or something. stupid i know, but my mind works in very simple ways hehe :p

7. vniow macrumors G4

I got into them because of the Cinematic Orchestra, I've previewed a bunch of others on that same label though (I forget who) and I really liked it so this music service would have to have a lot of artists from there if they want me personally to use it a lot.

8. morlium macrumors regular

here's my question:

what's with all of the "Partial Albums"?

is that the music exec's way of skirting the 9.99 album fee?
    or do you think they're just slowly adding them all?

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i can't imagine why they'd only have a few songs from a particular album as a result of lack of time... ya know? i mean, if you have the cd in there, why not rip em all?

i think the main thing is working out the details (what happens when a d/l fails? what happens if you d/l 3 songs from an album, like it, and want the rest? etc)... and add more music (which i'm sure will happen soon and for a long time).

evo- yeah, that's the image i have too... though probably not imacs.... i'd think they could pop a powermac into the interns' dungeon to do that.... or maybe a classic imac just to torture em.... ;)

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

i would like to think they're slowly getting round to adding them all, but it seems a bit weird, how long can it take to do the rest of the album??

i also wondered about albums that only have say, four (long) tracks on them, that's 4 bucks for the album, would they charge 3 bucks per track then?

i sincerely hope it doesn't become a bunch of political crap, and that it lives up to the expectations that (rightly so) come with apple products.

11. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Intresting enough iTunes uses the WebCore used by Safari...
    like go :itms://foobar/ there and iTunes 4 will open... intresting you say, I say very... :cool:

Well I hope they delete this partial crap and bands like linken park are totally missing, :eek: .

comeon, they are all Major label bands! where are they... :eek:

The like only full compliant band is U2... they have like every CD ever...

12. BeoLab8000 macrumors newbie

Where's the Favorites list?

What a great program! However, I'd like to have a way to store certain areas -- say, an album I'm interested in purchasing -- for later viewing, a la web browsers' "Favorites" or "Bookmarks."

What do you guys think?

13. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Where's the Favorites list?

sounds good, but it gets complicated, I guess since the menu/search is easy you can always do it that way...

who else am I missing, which bands?

anyone?

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Where's the Favorites list?

linkin park was the first i noticed. basically apple needs to make sure every band on mtv and mtv2 is on there, then they will have a good list. And get some oldies on there for parents and people who like oldies. some more good christian bands would be nice. and maybe apple could work out a deal we independent people tyring to get known, but i doubt it. since its on computers they could just load this servers with so much music its incredible, not bad for a first day. you gotta think what all they have to do for this. they gotta encode it, get the artwork, make samples, seperater expicit from non explicit, its a lot of work.

iJon

15. szark macrumors 68030

szark

From the Fortune.com article:

I'm confused about the "partial albums" too. Hopefully that will be cleared up soon.

16. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Re: Where's the Favorites list?

they said they were working on it for like a year and a half. A long damn time.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where's the Favorites list?

no kidding,i guess importing on the imacs and scanning the artwork with epson scan to file can hol dthings up.

iJon

18. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:RERERE:

what do they need to import? i mean they have like 3000 servers... lets see rip all of the CD's into AAC's and host it.
    I didn't expect it to be that hard...:rolleyes:

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

They're missing Queen. I want Queen. Oh, and the store allows feedback, so tell 'em what songs you want and what features you think they should add.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm on a PC, so could someone tell me if they have unloco, coexist,
    blindside, and trapt?

they better. Oh, and they most definitely have Missy Elliot I assume?

;) :D

21. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the fact that we even have as much as we do says alot about the service. when it comes to things like partial albums, a big part of it is having to get all the proper royalties to all the proper people. you not only have to give the artist and label the royalties, but the songwriter, the producers, and any studio musicians that may have been on another label entirely. this is a very complicated mix of written, performance, and production copyright laws and everyone involved has to get their share. that is probably a major reason for the partial albums.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

based on a 4 song u2 single disc... i'd say no. the entire album was 3.96.... fittingly enough

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

In addition to partial albums, I've noticed that some albums have a song listed as 'album only' which means that you can't get that particular song without buying the whole album. (I believe one example is Parliment's "Make My Funk The P-Funk") I really hope Apple limits the record companies doing this. If the most popular songs are 'album only,' the value of the service will be severely reduced.

PS - I'm amazed there's an album by Pere Ubu available. That really made my day!

24. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Anyone else notice that both De La Soul and DJ Qbert are missing?

Oh, the irony...