New Apple 'Real People' Ads

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 9, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

CNet reports on Apple's new Ad Campaign which is to be run in Time, Newsweek as well as television spots:

In the largest marketing effort for Apple since its "Think Different" campaign, Apple is planning a series of TV and print ads featuring people who have switched from a PC to a Mac telling their story.

The "Real People" ads, which will start appearing this week, are directed by documentary filmmaker Errol Morris, director of "The Thin Blue Line."

The first hints of this new ad campaign came from Harry Knowles on May 7, 2002.

2. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

this is really exciting and is EXACTLY what apple needs to be doing.

3. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I can't wait to see 'em in action. They sound like a good mix between the celebrity product endorsements and the (in)famous commercials like "Middle Seat" and "Elope".

Hopefully they get some good timeslots.:)

4. macrumors 68020

Beej

Sounds like Apple is actively persuing that 10% Steve-o was talking about.

I just hope the ads aren't lame like ads of this sort often are... but it's Apple, so I'm sure they'll be good.

5. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

Thin Red Line

As long as Mr. Morris' ads move along faster than his movies. Man, I like dramas/war movies/and such, but man that movie went on forever!

Gus

6. deejemon, Jun 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

macrumors regular

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Thin Red Line

Terrence Malick directed "The Thin Red Line" you're referring to. It's one of my favorite movies.

Errol Morris directs documentaries, one of which is titled "Thin Blue Line", hence the confusion.

8. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Apple needs to take care with this strategy - I agree it could work out well, but it's not without risk.

It seems like Apple's marketing strategy over the past few years has been to play down the difference between Mac & PC - they have never majored on OS X in their mainstream ads, and until recently they've avoided all talk of Macs being better than Windows for fear of consumers responding: "you mean it can't run Windows?!"

I think Apple hoped that people would be sold on the nice looks of the machine, get it home and after some innitial confusion with the different system, soon grow to love it for what it is, and appreciate the unique Mac user experience.

Unless they play it exactly right, majoring on the difference between and Windows & Mac system could backfire on Apple.

9. macrumors 6502

Can't Wait!!!

Man...

Am I excited! I'm really looking forward to these ads, and as was said, this is exactly what Apple needs to do.

While I'm glad that Apple is really beginning their hunt to convert the unconverted, I worry... Why exactly are "so many" Apple execs selling stock? I know that I want to stay put; however, I wonder what's really going on...

"Christof"

-----
    Surgeon General's Warning: Rumors about Apple can be hazardous to your health. Read responsibly.

10. macrumors 6502a

Can't Wait!!!!!!

Oh yeah, that's right, down here we wont be able to see them... stupid apple australia :mad:

11. macrumors regular

good for Apple!!! Its about time. I just got done explaining to a friend, who would love to buy an ibook for its looks that yes she can send email on a Mac and it even has Word! Send email! I thought she was kidding but no she actually thought that...

Go to it apple

12. macrumors 68030

britboy

So perhaps some of the adverts will feature people explaining how they use VPC, to cover all their needs. When people start to realise that they can run their beloved windows on a mac, they might not be so sceptical.

It could work. I hope it does, because this sounds like exactly the right move from apple.

13. macrumors 68020

Beej

In defense of Apple Aus (which isn't somehting I do often) they have been playing a lot of iMac ads in prime-time over the last two weeks.

14. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i disagree. i do not think this has been apple's stratedgy at all. apple has flaunted their differences (think different). in fact they did so well at making everyone understand that theyw ere different that it scared many people off.

this campaign will likley undo the damage of all that thinking different. it will finally show why thinking different is thinking better.

15. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

(double postolicious)

some quotes that might raise some eyebrows of thsoe who couldnt click a link to save their lives let alone to read an article (you know who you are ;) ;) )

want more? read the darn thing already ! :)

linky linky :)

16. Administrator

blakespot

Ideal

This is indeed exactly what Apple needs. I am excited to see it coming together like this. (Also heard a rumors that the iCards tab on Apple's site will be repalced with a tab dealing with this new PR effort.)

Errol Morris also directed A Brief History of Time, an excellent documentary about the life and discoveries of modern-day hero Stephen Hawking.

More info about Errol Morris --> here.

blakespot

17. macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Ideal

That documentary of Hawking was brilliant. If Morris can capture some of the genuineness of that documentary, apple are onto a winner here.

18. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

19. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Fair point about "Think Different," athough I think they never spelt out in their ads that not only did the hardware look different, but the OS was different as well.

Perhaps this is an area where the US & UK markets differ - as I understand, in the US people are more familiar with what a Mac actually is, in part because of its high penetration in schools. In the UK, the Mac has less market share and tends to only be used in design, publishing & video editing. As a result I think your average man on the street has less understanding of what a Mac is. As such, most Brits tend to assume Macs run Windows.

So on the UK, running a campaign stating that the Mac is better than Windows could be raising an issue that average consumers were not even aware of!

20. macrumors regular

I have never seen an Apple ad on free TV. Never.

One ad for iTunes 1 on Fox 8 on Austar. That's it.

21. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Apple ads are now online at Apple's hompage.
    check it out!!!!

22. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Thats how I got my cousin to get the new iMac instead of a toshiba....:confused:

Oh man, *sigh*. I went to her house yesterday to teach her all about it....she was gonna get the toshiba so that it would be "compatible" with her friends' computers....you know, cause she NEEDS AOL and Word...which don't run on a mac?:rolleyes:

These ads will be good...lack of knowledge is what keeps people back.

23. macrumors 603

Rocketman

24. macrumors 603

Rocketman

25. Administrator

blakespot

Re: Ideal

I see that rumor was correct.

blakespot