Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Sayhey said:
I haven't heard anything, but if you're intested I'll post any information I can dig up.
thanks!
i have a feeling its not gonna open anytime soon. I think they are expanding that mall and apple is probably going to open in the expansion..

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
puckhead193 said:
thanks!
i have a feeling its not gonna open anytime soon. I think they are expanding that mall and apple is probably going to open in the expansion..

My guess, based solely on the timing (Jan. '06) of the location's posting on Apple's website, is that it will open this year, with a good chance of being one of the 35-40 opened by September 30th. If there is major construction going on in the mall that could change the schedule significantly. As the South Shore store in the Boston area showed, it has certainly delayed openings in the past.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Here is the updated list of FY2006 stores so those who don't want to wade through all of the earlier pages will have it easily available. This shows stores already opened in FY 2006 (in red,) and upcoming stores confirmed by Apple's own listings (including stores officially announced in gold, stores in the process of staff recruitment in green, and new locations which have only been listed as upcoming retail sites in black.) Between thirty-five and forty of those listed below are planned to be opened by Sept. 30th.

1. Staten Island Mall - Staten Island, New York - opened 10/15
  2. The Oaks - Thousand Oaks, California - opened 10/29
  3. Burlington Mall - Burlington, Massachusetts - opened 11/05
  4. Brea Mall - Brea, California - opened 11/12
  5. Gateway Mall - Salt Lake City, Utah - opened 11/19
  6. Beverly Center - Los Angeles, California - opened 11/19
  7. Fashion Square - Sherman Oaks, California - opened 11/19
  8. Trafford Centre - Manchester, England - opened 11/19
  9. Fukuoka Tenjin - Fukuoka, Japan - opened 12/03
  10. Sendai Ichibancho - Sendai, Japan - opened 12/10
  11. Meadowhall Centre - Sheffield, England - opened 12/10
  12. Brent Cross - London, England - opened 1/28
  13. Garden State Plaza - Paramus, New Jersey - opened 2/04
  14. Irvine Spectrum Center - Irvine, California - opened 2/11
  15. Derby Street - Hingham, Massachusetts - opened 2/18
  16. Northpark Center - Dallas, Texas - opened 3/04
  17. Summit Sierra - Reno, Nevada - opened 3/15
  18. Southlake Center - Southlake, Texas - opened 4/08
  19. Eaton Centre - Toronto, Canada - opened 5/06
  20. Flatiron Crossing - Broomfield, Colorado - opened 5/06
  21. Suburban Square - Ardmore, Pennsylvania - opened 5/13
  22. Simi Valley Town Center - Simi Valley, California - opened 5/13
  23. Fifth Avenue - New York City, New York - opened 5/19
  24. Freehold Raceway - Freehold, New Jersey - opened 5/27
  25. Perimeter Mall - Atlanta, Georgia - opened 6/03
  26. Ridgedale Mall - Minneapolis, Minnesota - opened 6/10
  27. Memorial City Mall - Houston, Texas - opened 6/17
  28. Sapporo - Sapporo, Japan - opened 6/24
  29. Crabtree Valley Mall - Raleigh, North Carolina - opened 6/24
  30. Stamford Town Center - Stamford, Connecticut - opened 7/01
  31. West Town Mall - Knoxville, Tennessee - opened 7/01
  32. Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida - to open 7/21
  33. The Pier - Atlantic City, New Jersey
  34. Romaest Mall - Rome, Italy
  35. The Mall in Columbia - Columbia, Maryland
  36. Providence Place Mall - Providence, Rhode Island
  37. Fair Oaks Mall - Fairfax, Virginia
  38. Smith Haven Mall - Lake Grove, New York
  39. MacArthur Center - Norfolk, Virginia
  40. Le Carrefour Laval - Montreal, Canada
  41. Arndale Centre - Manchester, England
  42. Sherway Gardens - Toronto, Canada
  43. Village Point Mall - Omaha, Nebraska
  44. 29th Street Mall - Boulder, Colorado
  45. First Colony Mall - Sugar Land, Texas
  46. Topanga Mall - Canoga Park, California
  47. Waterside Shops - Naples, Florida
  48. Chinook Centre - Calgary, Canada
  49. ABQ Uptown Center - Albuquerque, New Mexico (mall opening Fall 2006)
  50. Coconut Point Mall - Bonita Springs, Florida (mall completed by Nov. 2006)
  51. Otay Ranch Town Center - San Diego, California (mall opening 10-27-06)
  52. Cherry Hill Mall - Cherry Hill, New Jersey
  53. West Quay Mall, Southampton, UK
  54. Bentall Centre, Kingston, UK
  55. 899 Higuera Street - San Luis Obispo, California

The following are upcoming stores confirmed by mall websites, public documents, and press reports. No word from Apple on any of these or a word on possible opening dates as of yet. Unless they get derailed by planning difficulties, they appear to be locations of future stores; all also are very unlikely for FY 2006 openings.

1. 21 W. 34th Street - New York, New York
  2. Town Square Mall - Las Vegas, Nevada (mall opening "Fall 2007")
  3. 815 Bolyston Street - Boston, Massachusetts
  4. Partridge Creek - Clinton Township, Michigan (mall opening Oct. 2007)
  5. Bayshore Mall - Glendale, Wisconsin
  6. 77 Bahnhofstrasse - Zurich, Switzerland
  7. Crocker Park - Westlake, Ohio

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
macosXrumors forwards the very interesting report from the French site, macgeneration about upcoming French stores. Of particular interest is the naming of "Paris-Opera" as the place for an Apple store this year. While this is undoubtedly a reference to the Opera District of Paris, there is no more specific location confirmed. Any ideas from those familar with shopping in Paris?

According to the french Mac-centric site MacGeneration.com, Pascal Cagni, Apple Europe’s VP has sent a letter to European Apple resellers so as to inform them of the forthcoming changes in their contract with Apple.

The Apple reseller contract that will be applied by this summer in Europe will bring some dramatic changes. The most important among these changes is the fact that Apple resellers, which are currently running under the brand “Apple Center”, will now be qualified as “Premium Reseller” instead. By the way, resellers won’t be allowed to use the brands “Apple” and “Mac” in their name.

Another major change is the obligation of resellers to train their employees under Apple’s Certificates program. This certificates program implies costs for the reseller.

Pascal Cagni also expressed in his letter, the willing of Apple that its resellers network differentiates in terms of design from Apple stores and that Apple will be encouraging common marketing campaigns between Apple and its resellers network.

The report also confirms Apple’s plans to open stores in France, starting this year with a first store in Paris - Opera, another in Lyon and another in Lille. The very expected Paris, Champs-Elysés store will open in 2007....

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Mammoth said:
This confirms a Calgary store? :)

Yes. If you go to Apple's "Search Jobs" webpage you can see a listing "Calgary-Chinook Mall" for a new retail location. While there are no individual job listings of yet, this is usually the first step by which you can see an acknowledgment by Apple of plans for a new retail store.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Following up on possible locations of the "Paris-Opera" store, the Galeries Lafayette and Printemps seem to be very likely places to open an Apple store. They are within the Opera district and certainly upscale enough to fit Apple's criteria. Any other guesses? Any Parisians who can keep an eye out?

Attachments

• Paris_9th.png
    Paris_9th.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 97

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
New Jersey opening this weekend?

ifoAppleStore is reporting an opening for the new store in the Freehold Raceway Mall this weekend, May 27th. Not that this doesn't make sense, but there is no word on Apple's site yet or on the Mall's website either. Has anyone in the area received one of Apple's famous email notifications of the opening? Anyway, it is likely ifo has it right and this will be eighth store in the state with two more schedule to open later this year.

edit: Apple has made it official. May 27th at 10:00 am with the usual 1000 t-shirts and sweepstakes.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
Sayhey said:
Here is a list of the 19 states without a store, from most populous to least, and their largest metro areas. As always 2000 census numbers.

1. Louisiana (New Orleans - 1,337,000)
  2. Alabama (Birmingham - 921,000)
  3. ...

We're number 2! We're number 2! We're number 2! :(
I still hold out hope we will get a store in Bama one day.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
With the posting today on monster.com of listings of individual job openings for the upcoming Cherry Hill, New Jersey store all of the announced US planned locations are in staff recruitment mode. This puts not only Cherry Hill, but Otay Ranch, Coconut Point, and ABQ mall sites well within this year's timeframe for opening - though all four are unlikely to be opened before the end of the fiscal year.

edit: I've noticed the good folks at MacDailyNews (I mean that sincerely - they do great work) are claiming they have an "exclusive" today with their announcement of the new Albuquerque location. As readers of this thread will know, it was posted here on the 11th (see post #122,) so I'm not sure how the word "exclusive" applies. As far as I can tell - the ifoAppleStore and ThinkSecret stories come from my tips to them - I was the first to notice and post this news gleaned from Apple's website, but I'm guessing they must mean "exclusive" in a different kind of way than it is commonly meant. Still, it is good to see the coverage of Apple's retail efforts.

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Freehold

Who would have thought you'd see 1000+ apple devotees at 10AM on a Saturday in the middle of NJ? Sure enough, they went through their T-shirts in under 2 hours from what I heard.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154525165&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154526012&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154526913&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154527529&size=l

I didnt buy anything, still waiting for Merom, BluRay, and a faster Video Card before I jump on a MBP, hopefully by september!

Sam

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Alabama store?

ifoAppleStore is reporting a tip from one of its readers about a possible Huntsville, Alabama store. Is this the big break Alabama mac fans have been waiting for?

Huntsville…Real Store?
In the aftermath of spotting an Apple logo along University Blvd. in Huntsville (Ala.), tipster Shane spotted another mention of Apple–on a site plan for the Bridge Street Town Center mall now under construction on the city’s southwest side. The project has been delayed several times, but will eventually include a 10-acre lake, bridges, water taxis, a multi-screen cinema and Westin Hotel. Apple is listed as “In discussion/negotiating” for a 4,000 square-foot space near the center of the mall.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
NO new Philly store

This maybe a little in the category of "inside baseball" but for those readers of ifoAppleStore - please don't get your hopes up for a new Philly area store like the announcement on the website today.

Another Philly Region Store
Hard no the heels of the May 13th grand opening of the Suburban Square (Penn.) store in the north suburbs of Philadelphia, Apple will open another store in the region, at the Simon-owned South Hills Village mall in Bethel Park, about 8 miles southwest of the city. The store will be on the lower level near Sears, and might make a year-end opening.

This is in fact the already opened Simon-owned South Hills Village mall in the Bethel Park suburb of Pittsburgh. ifoAppleStore does a great job, but they blew it on this one. Of course, I made a similar mistake about a month ago when Apple changed the listing on their site from "Pittsburgh" to "Bethel Park" (I thought it was a third Pittsburgh store.) Just didn't want anyone to get too excited.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Memorial City opens this 6/17

OK, it's not exactly earth-shattering news but I have to give credit where credit is due, I found this over at MacWorld - who would have ever thought they would be first on anything? The new Memorial City mall store will open this Saturday, June 17th at 10:00 am. The normal giveaways apply (T-shirts, raffles, etc.) This is the third store to open in the Houston area, with at least one more to come this year (First Colony in Sugarland.) It is the ninth Texas store.

edit: oops! it looks like one of our own may have been the first to post the news. Congrats, to you, PeterParker.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Apple store runs into problems in Portland

The proposed Apple (high-profile?) store in Portland's Alphabet District has run into problems with City's Landmarks Commission. This one may not happen.

Landmarks panel cool to Apple plans
Alphabet district - A hearing ends without a vote on plans for a store in the historic area
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
FRED LEESON
Plans for a sleek-looking Apple Computer store in a Northwest Portland historic district received an icy reception on Monday from the city's Historic Landmarks Commission, whose chairman criticized it as "franchise architecture."

A two-hour hearing over the proposed two-story glass and limestone box at 423 N.W. 23rd Ave. ended without a formal vote when the building's architect asked to come back at a July 10 meeting.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Jeff Stuhr, a Portland architect, plans to present revised plans or whether Apple will drop the project. The company does not comment on its retail store plans....
The Oregonian

Scruff

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
'mon the 'Gers!

Surely Scotland could get one at some point... I mean, we have so few in the UK, and they're all in England. I can't imagine why Glasgow wouldn't get one. I'd love that, an Apple Store on Buchanan Street... ah, awesome. I could go there on my lunch break from work, :p.

Well, this post is fairly meaningless unless you're from Scotland, or have visited Glasgow before, so I should say that I think the UK should get more stores already (especially up North :p).

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Boston Store gets go ahead

From the Boston Globe:

Apple gets green light on Boston store plan
Full OK contingent on a revised design
By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | June 15, 2006
Apple Computer Inc. is moving in the right direction with a revised building design for its first Boston store, the Back Bay Architectural Commission told the company at a hearing last night.
Giving Apple a conditional blessing, the group approved the demolition of the existing building at 815 Boylston St. as long as the computer maker presents an appropriate building design. But the commission, while complimenting the design changes, denied for now last night's proposal, an expected move for a project of this scope, according to commission chairman Anthony Casendino.
Apple is seeking to demolish the building across from the Prudential Center, which Copy Cop currently occupies, and construct a three-story building with a glass façade. The changes presented at last night's meeting include creating a recessed entrance and installing stainless steel columns inside the store that divide the glass façade in sections -- alterations that are intended to make the modern design fit better with the older architecture in the neighborhood.
``We like the direction it's going in. You're on a great track, keep going," said John Christiansen , a commission member. ``It's technologically inspired and historically inspired."

Great news for Boston's mac fans!

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
JackSYi said:
Santa Barbara desparately needs one.

Keep an eye out on 716 State Street for me and see if the ifoAppleStore tip turns out to be true.

Is Santa Barbara Hot?
Why would an authorized Apple reseller commit to spending $10,000 a month for five years on a space in downtown Santa Barbara (S. Calif.)? That question begs an answer with the discovery that the city’s Historic Landmarks Commission has received an application (pdf) from local architect Doug Keep to modify the entryway of 716 State Street for a “Proposed Mac Retail Store.” The 2,062 square-foot space in the midst of downtown is managed by SIMA Management Corp., who asks for a minimum five-year lease at almost $5 per s.f. The space is only 22 feet wide, but has old-world charm and a huge skylight that brightens up the interior. The façade is considered historic and unchangeable, but Apple has handled similar situations successfully at other stores (Palo Alto and Pasadena).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.