New Apple strategy around

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by mymemory, Mar 31, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I just got this in the Hotline chats from a very professional and hatefull french hacker. It may say something of the way Apple is doing things back stage, at the end it is just a rumor:

"Apple may finally getting closer to using some of the more obscure technologies it has purchased in the past several years. The Raycer purchase is rumored to be bringing to fruition a plan to add several coprocessor chips to future Mac hardware designs that will require no effort on developers' parts to get dramatically accelerated video, 3D, and other multimedia. Not only does this tie in nicely with the increasingly visual Digital Lifestyle, it also paves the way for the other technology purchase frequently speculated about: the high-end special effects software made by Nothing Real, now assimilated into the Cupertino collective. Along with the strengths of multiprocessing G4s and these new multimedia coprocessors, the purchase of Nothing Real helps bring the Final Cut/iMovie family into the next generation."

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm definitely for multiprocessing. But is this in reference to the CPU or other chips on the mother board. If its the graphics card, are they going to start up with putting their own in each machine? I remember the Pizza Box Performas from abou 96 that had everything on the motherboard. Oh, did I not like that machine.

Would this solve your s-video issue?

3. Macwizzard macrumors member

WHAT

I think that this idea is bogus. This sounds more like a whim than a rumor. If possible, please provide more credible data to support your theory.

4. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

What I see (In based on all the rumors) is that Apple is replacing Silicon Graphics computers, they would be marketing some kind of mid end SGI consumer computer for the pro consumer.

There is an empty space in the industry for that kind of computer. THere is the O2 and the Indigo line (and the other PC versions) but there are not such ammount of soft for O2 for example and that kind of computer is too expensive. So, what I see is that Apple is making a lot of model with computers like the new iMac to lunch a new line of very advance computer later on the road.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Apple to buy out SGI? Well, that would be a way for Apple to get Maya from Alias/Wavefront, since A/W is owned by SGI right now. But I don't see Apple buying SGI. They might try and get a bigger share of the SGI market.