New Apple SuperDrives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atif.muhammad, Dec 4, 2004.

1. atif.muhammad macrumors member

does anyone have any idea when the new Super Drives are coming out? their current speed is abt 4x which is crap compared to the 16x you can get on the PCs

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. pilzbury macrumors newbie

Couldn't you just um...buy the machine with the combo-drive and swap it out with a drive purchased of the internet or something? And if worse came to worse...could just buy a Lacie drive. I hope apple releases double layer drives...that would be the ideal thing...of course. IMO.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You could always add your own, but as for stock, who are you looking at that offers a 16xDVD burner stock?

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

There are several 16x burners out there (Pioneer DVR-108); most of them are DL, too. They just started shipping recently, so I don't see why you would expect to see them in Macs. Slot loading drives are just now get to 8x, so laptops and the iMac can't do 16x, yet.

In any case, if you want a 16x burner, go out and buy one, just like every PC owner that bought their machine before the new drives appear. Why do you always make these topics sound as though Apple has failed us somehow?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Considering Apple still sees a DVD-burning "Superdrive" a luxury item (and based on the upgrade pricing, that's true) it will be a while until we get to those speeds, in my humble opinion.

Just install an aftermarket one yourself. It's very easy.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The Pioneer DL-DVD-R (A09/109 I think) is supposed to come out in late Dec. 04 or Jan. 05 so it might be upgraded in the PowerMacs at Macworld.